Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency of Fill-Check and Mesh Repair Wizard

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
maxmarautodesk
535 Views, 7 Replies

Inconsistency of Fill-Check and Mesh Repair Wizard

Dear community,

I have a strange problem which I think can only traced back to software issues and not be fixed by me. I have created a 3D model and wanted to run a simple fill analysis. Before doing so, I checked the Mesh Statistics which looked pretty good. Moreover, I have taken one loop with the Mesh Repair Wizard. I have not found any major problems. The Mesh Repair Wizard did not report any insufficient mesh refinement. However, when I start the analysis, the Fill-Check excactly reports this issue and the analysis is therefore aborted/does not start. Please have a look to the attachments for the comparison of the results of the Mesh Repair Wizard and the Check-Fill.

Has anybody experience the same thing?
Does anyone have an idea how to circumvent this problem?

Thanks already for any help which I really appreciate!

Background information:

Moldflow: Synergy+Insight 2015

Analysis: Fill

Model type: 3D

Number of elements: 700,000

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi,

It will be less comfy to state without having a look at study file, what is really going wrong, but have you confirmed purge nodes after meshing / repairing in DD and then converting to 3D.
From warning message, analysis should not halt, as they are just warnings & not errors, so analysis should process further.
Secondly, are there any cooling channels modeled in study which are coming really close to part surface, you will need to get rid of those first, just delete the beam elements nearer to part there.
Thirdly, If you have nominal part thickness low & you are trying 10 layers of tetras there without having less edge length, this issue will persist. So i request you to mesh with less edge length & then 10 tets in layers.

I hope Third option may work for you.

Regards,
Mayur
Message 3 of 8
tim.vanast
in reply to: maxmarautodesk

Yes, I see the same warning all the time and ignore it.

Tim

Message 4 of 8
harald_goetz
in reply to: tim.vanast

I see that Warning often, too.

As long as Moldflow won´t tell me where it is and I didn´t know what kind of mistake it might produce I do the sam as Tim, - ignore it.

If anybody here knows what to do after the message to get rid of it, - please let us know.

Harald

Message 5 of 8
xusho

I have checked with solver developer re: the warning message.

This is just a warning, not critical. Just ignore it.

If analysis stops for that reason, please send the sdy file to me:  Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com.

Shoudong Xu

Moldflow Meshing

Shoudong Xu
Autodesk Moldflow Meshing
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com
Message 6 of 8
madhukeshwart
in reply to: xusho

When ever there are warnings, we shouldn't always ignore them. We should be cautious on those warnings&

must keep on eye on those bad elements, when ever interpreting the results.

• You wanna correct those or not necessary is your decision. 
  • If possible try to correct your level best.
  • If you know it is not serious, do ignore. 

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 7 of 8

Dear all,

thank you very much for you feedback. It seems that I am not the only one having this problem. I agree with Tim and Harald. So far, I have just ignored the warning. Moldlow anyways does not give me any information where the problem was spottet. As reported, the mesh statistics does not find anything, so I can't isolate the areas where the problem arises. Consequently, I can't do anything about it, but ignore it. Moreover, I usually use 10 elements across the thickness, not the default of 6. Meaning although I get the warning message, I am still above 6 elements across the thickness which I think is acceptable. Hence, I do not fear much influence on the simulation result.

Other question:

Has anybody seen coincident nodes before (compare to attachment of initial post)? I am pretty sure yes, but I am not sure where they come from in my case. They suddenly appeared.
Do you have any idea if this is a major problem and how to solve it? I can try to select the single nodes by typing the number in the select box in Moldflow, but to find and isolate them among 200,000 other nodes is very difficult. I could just merge them without looking by typing the numbers into the "merge nodes" dialog, but I prefer to check out where they are and which layer and domain they belong to.

Best regards,
Max

Message 8 of 8
cookp

There are three warning messages that the 3D Flow solver may produce in regard to mesh refinement : 304920, 304930, 304940. Users are advised to read the Help for these warnings available in the product Help. The Help items refer them on to the “Node Layer number” plot. Read the extensive Help item on that, and take particular note of the final text from that section :

“Because the node layer numbering starts at the edge of the part, it is normal for plate-like areas to have blank borders around the edge. This is a function of how the result is generated and may not be an indication of localized insufficient refinement.

Things to look for

If any areas with less than the required number of node layers correspond with a critical feature of the model, consider the following alternatives:

1 Use the Remesh Tetras tool to refine the mesh in the local area (Home Create Mesh Mesh Repair Remesh Tetras)

2 Or convert the model to a Dual Domain mesh, re-mesh the part with a reduced global edge length and then convert the model back to a 3D mesh.

Re-run the analysis after re-meshing the part to ensure the model now has adequate refinement.”

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report