Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IGES Import

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1361 Views, 3 Replies

IGES Import

Hello,

I would like to ask for support for the following subject. I created a solid works assembly and exported this to a iges file. Afterwards I tried to import this file into MPI. Unfortunately this import fails and the geometry is not completely imported into moldflow, there are some wires missing which I constructed in solidworks. To control the generated igs-file I used the IGS-viewer which does not show any problems. Besides the construction in solidworks I used also the Autodesk Inventor software. Unfortunatelly the same mistake occured when I was working with Inventor.

The question is, how can I solve the problem so that I am able to get a proper import of my geometry into moldflow. For this reason I attached a file including:

- pdf-file (where I tried to show the problem visually)

- solid works files

- igs file

- moldflow files

I would be really thankful if someone could support me with respect to the mentioned problem.

Greets.

Tony

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
nordhb
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

to export lines and curves to Autodesk Moldflow Synergy 2012, iges can be used.
Importing the supplied iges file to Autodesk Inventor 2012, it is an assembly of wireframes.
(it has more data though compared with the iges viewer picture supplied)

By doing a shrinkwrap in Autodesk Inventor 2012, creating a new .ipt-file with all lines and curves in an part file, and then export the whole geometry to iges (export options: tick Include Sketches, otherwise lines and curves are not exported), it will import all lines and curves to Synergy 2012.

So the workflow is to transfer assembly of curves and lines from cad via iges, is to create a shrinkwrap of assembly (merge geometries to single part file).

The geometry in Synergy study has more data, but you easily remove not needed lines and curves.

Attach the iges and study file.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: nordhb

Hello Berndt,

I tested your suggestion and it works quite nice but still I have to find out how I can import in this way also the centre line of the wires which I would like to examine in a wire sweep analysis in Moldflow. Will the Shrinkwarp option allow me also to save this information, which was still available in the old igs-file (visible in my pdf-file).

Greets from Munich.

Tony

Message 4 of 4
nordhb
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Tony,

had a look on the imported iges file in Inventor, and it looks the same as exported iges then imported to Moldflow.

The center line of wireframe is in the middle of main geometry.

It seems not to be related to each wire part in model.

Either copy the wireframe in Synergy to correct position, or in cad system add it in each wire part before a shrinkwrap.

The centerline should not be a construction line.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report