Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware advice appreciated - buying new workstation

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
maxmarautodesk
3215 Views, 25 Replies

Hardware advice appreciated - buying new workstation

Dear community,

I am currently looking for a new workstation for Moldflow. I would appreciate some comments and advice on the setup I have in mind, my questions regarding it and hardware in general.

Some background information:

Moldflow: Insight 2015

Analysis: mainly Cool(FEM/CFD)+Fill+Pack+Warp

Model type: 3D

Number of elements: 1-10 millions

Main part of the setup I am having in mind:

Base: Dell Precision T7610

CPU: Intel Xeon E5 four to eight cores, > 3 GHz, e.g. E5-1660 v2, E5-2643 v2, or E5-2687W v2

Is there a large performance gain for more than six cores? Is it worth to go up to eight? I am asking this, because in the Autodesk benchmark a six core CPU has given better results that an eight core with equal hardware setup. Hence, it seems like the frequency of the CPU or the cache per core is more important for shortening computation time than the number of cores?! (assuming perhaps >4 cores)

The benchmark can be found here (I am talking about the Dell Precision T3600 and T7600):

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Hardware-Certification-fo...

RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB)

Is it worth to invest in more memory? No setup of the Autodesk benchmark seems to exceed 16 GB, for whatever reason...

HDD: 2x 2TB 10,000 rpm configured as RAID 1 (=main drive + backup drive)

How important is the speed of the HDD? Can it be the bottleneck for the data delivered by the computations?

GPU option 1: Nvidia Quadro K5000 4GB

GPU option 2: Nvidia Quadro K2000 2GB + Nvidia Tesla K20 5GB

How beneficial is a powerful GPU for Moldflow exactly? Has anyone tested an Nvidia Tesla with Moldflow? Or has somebody tested an Nvidia Quadro K6000 12 GB? Perhaps the huge amount of RAM is beneficial for treating and loading the complete model by GPU, especially because we are talking about large models...

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

I would go for 8 cores, even if you prefer to limit your analysis to use 6 cores.

You might want to do other tasks that will require resources, or launch 2 analysis at the same time.

And yes, frequency and cache is import. Most interesting CPUs should be the one having the most important ratio cache/core.

If you have enough cores for parallelisation, I don't think GPU is worth it. Rather go for the K5000.

If you look in subscription center, there was a document on performance (look for Autodesk Simulation Moldflow 2014 Solver Changes and Validation Documents under product enhancement section).

We mentionned there GPU is benefitial only if you use a few number of threads. Recent CPUs are quite good at crushing numbers those days anyway....

Hard disk is not extensively used, so except for loading big files, you wouldn't see an improvement. I don't think that would delay you too much.

Getting a SSD disk for your operating system might make you happy, machine is pretty quick to boot/install then. But pay attention, the disk size can be limited compre to real hard disk.

32 Gig of Memory is quite good. If you are the kind of users who has 3 or 4 synergy at the same time and big analysis in the background, yes, maybe gof or more.

Otherwise, memory is the easiest thing to add on a machine, so I would say, stick with 32 Gig at the moment.

Message 3 of 26

Hi,

I would prefer 32GB, just to be sure that I can perform other tasks while analysis is running. Your machine may max use 14-16GB, for 6-7 million tetras, so try to have safety factor of using more than this requirement i.e. 32GB

About Graphic card & machine : please refer above comments.

Thanks,
Mayur
Message 4 of 26

Hey community,

Thank you very much for your comments, it helped us!

I just wanted to let you know now that we finally decided on the hardware now and we will order the following configuration:

- CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2687W v2 3.4 Ghz

- RAM: 64 (8x8) GB

- GPU: Nvidia Quadro K4000

- HDD: 256 SSD for system, 2 TB 7200 rpm for data

Message 5 of 26
rmathan
in reply to: maxmarautodesk

Hi,

We have  planned to buy a high end workstation.

Could you share the performance of the system config. specified?

Thanks,

Mathan

Message 6 of 26
harald_goetz
in reply to: rmathan

32 Gb of ram is fine, as long as you don´t have big tools, or try to calculate the warpage of your models without mesh aggregation!

If one of the above is true for you, - especially the mesh aggregation, - with your models (up tp 10.000.000 elements?)
I can tell you from experience, that even the 64 Gbyte of ram in my machine is to low then (often)!

RAM is not inexpensive expensive these days und you might need the big abmount of 96 or more Gbyte ram seldom.
But I would rather throug my 4 Gbyte Nvidia out of the PC for a little more of it. (Though I like the nvidia when it comes to DOE with "small models" parallel to CPU).

So with your models go for 64 Mbyte at least, - especially when running 2 or 3 simulations simultaneaously.

From my experience a grafikboard is easier to install than putting *additional* ram in the pc.
Simply because the type has changed (clockspeed, etc.), or you´ve got 4 dimms and now through away all of them and exchange them with bigger ones. (From 4 time 8 Gbyte to 4 times 16 for example).

Best option for a new PC is a new monitor. Don´t forget about it. 27 inch or 2 times 24 inch (but in AR 16:10) are better than the standard 24" monitor.

Harald

Message 7 of 26
harald_goetz
in reply to: harald_goetz

Just saw that the thread was "old", - I was a little late here, sorry...(for the confusion maybe)

Harald
Message 8 of 26
rmathan

Hi Harald,

Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestions.

Regards,

Mathan

Message 9 of 26
maxmarautodesk
in reply to: rmathan

Dear Mathan, dear Harald,

thanks for your interest in the post and also your contribution regarding the thread.

We have chosen the workstation with the configuration that I have mentioned above.
It leaves us enough room for upgrades in the future, regarding RAM and graphics card.

I would be happy to share some performance benchmarks. However, the problem will be to have standardized and comparable models. Perhaps Autodesk can share some of their standard models which are used for their usual benchmarks (see link in my first post).

Best regards,
Max
Message 10 of 26

Hello Maxmarautodesk,

what is your expierence with the Dell T7610 ?

I actually have pretty much the same hardware as you:

Cpu: 2 x Xeon E5-2687W V2 8 core = 16core

Ram: 16x8GB=128GB

GPU: Quadro K4000

HDD: 4x256 GB SSD Raid 0 on LSI Controller

My feeling is that the machine is not performing as fast as it should be, the simulation time is very good and fast as expected but the machine feels very slow and sluggish.

Boot up Time is around 2 minutes. I also often have crashes...

I have also a HP 8560W mobile Workstation with Core i7 4 Core, 16GB ram and Samsung SSD and it feels much faster.

Regards

Jakob

Message 11 of 26
tim.vanast
in reply to: maxmarautodesk

Follow up question:  When comparing the K4000 and K5000, I notice that the K4000  states is does not support ECC but the K5000 does.

Does the ECC matter when solving Moldflow jobs?  I believe it does for the system memory, so wouldn't it also matter for the GPU?

Thanks,

Tim

Message 12 of 26
Idea_Mel
in reply to: tim.vanast

Hello everyone,

I was searching for a budget hardware setup to run Moldflow Flex 2015.

Currently I'm using a Dell Precision M6700 with i7 3820, 32Gb RAM, Quadro K5000 and it does its job. However heavy 3D cooling analyses seems to requires more RAM (without mesh aggregation) , as causes of warpage isolation, so I'm looking for some advice to configure a desktop.

My budget is around €2500 (inc. VAT) and I found something like this:

CPU: Xeon E5-2620v3, 6cores @ 2.4Ghz, 15Mb Cache

RAM: 64Gb DDR4 ECC

VGA: Quadro K2200 or K4200

Disk: SSD 512gb

Could be this setup enough?

Thanks in advance,

Alessio

Message 13 of 26
CaeTecos2021
in reply to: sag-pderrer

Hi everyone,

Q: can SSDs for system and Moldflow in RAID0 decrease calculation results?

We experience after purchasing new machine slower times in calculations, for about 10-15%. Our IT guys argue - some say it can, some say it can't. To me, I guess it can, but not that much!

New config:

• Dell Precision T7910
  • Dual Intel Xeon Processor E5-2670 v3 (12C, 2.3GHz, Turbo, HT, 30M, 120W)
  • 64G 2133MHz DDR4 (8x8GB) RDIMM ECC
  • System and calculation: RAID 0 with 2x 2.5 inch 256GB SATA SSD Samsung SM841
  • Nvidia Quadro K5200 8GB

Old config:

• Dell Precision T5500
  • Dual Xeon X5650 (6C, 2.66GHz, 12M cache)
  • 24G RAM (6x4) 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC RDIM
  • System and calculation: single SSD 256GB
  • Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB

DISK:

Generic disk benchmark gives lower access times for new (0,1 ms for new and 0,2 for old), but at the same time 20% lower transfer rates in write for 4K and 512K for the new disk.

However I noticed here that disk speed doesn't matter that much.

CPU:

I noticed that you say 6 cores is the optimum and that frequency really matters, also cache. Well our new CPU has lower freq than the old one, 12 cores vs 6 and 30M cache vs 12.

To sum up: did we spend so much money on a slower machine or can RAID0 maybe be the problem? Is there anything else that can be the bottleneck?

An additional question: will version 2016 change things in paralelisation, so our CPU will be more suitable?

I know, lots of challenging questions, but I really appreciate your answers. Thanks in advance!

Message 14 of 26
tim.vanast
in reply to: CaeTecos2021

As you said, there are many combinations of things that can affect the solve time. 

I think the easy way to answer your question would be to remove one of the SSDs.  You will likely get a warning that one drive is not functioning, but the computer should still run on the one still hooked up.  Then rerun the analysis and see if it makes a difference.

While the number of cores available can make a difference, you will only realize the difference when you have multiple jobs solving at once.

My guess would be the the 2.3GHz vs 2.66GHz is where the difference is. 

Tim

Message 15 of 26
harald_goetz
in reply to: tim.vanast

Tim,

in that case we should aim for watercolled 4 to 5 Ghz "Monsters", should we?

🙂

What about clarifications from the Autodesk team here?

These guys know for sure where to put the money on best.

A SSD (from my view without experience) is only for OS, not for working on it really.

So a big HD with bigger cache seems to fit better (though the SSD is much quiter, which is what I prefer most).

GPU is a bottleneck (more or less) since the CPU kept up with these devices, still they are mostly used in rendering and other stuff that could be highly parallezised (See Max. Maya, Blender...)

So today the most important question is one already mentioned:

How good does Moldflow scale?

Is is better  to have 4 (real) cores or 4 + 4 Hyperthreading ones with higher frequenzy,

or is it better to have 24 cores (2 times 6 core + HP) with slightly lower frequenzy?

This answer will impact our new purchase (end of this year) more than anything else.

Thanks and regards

Harald

Message 16 of 26
CaeTecos2021

@harald_goetz wrote:

Tim,

in that case we should aim for watercolled 4 to 5 Ghz "Monsters", should we?

🙂

What about clarifications from the Autodesk team here?

These guys know for sure where to put the money on best.

A SSD (from my view without experience) is only for OS, not for working on it really.

So a big HD with bigger cache seems to fit better (though the SSD is much quiter, which is what I prefer most).

GPU is a bottleneck (more or less) since the CPU kept up with these devices, still they are mostly used in rendering and other stuff that could be highly parallezised (See Max. Maya, Blender...)

So today the most important question is one already mentioned:

How good does Moldflow scale?

Is is better  to have 4 (real) cores or 4 + 4 Hyperthreading ones with higher frequenzy,

or is it better to have 24 cores (2 times 6 core + HP) with slightly lower frequenzy?

This answer will impact our new purchase (end of this year) more than anything else.

In fact going for 4-5GHz overclocked water cooled monsters could be the key. I have a response from a reliable source in Autodesk Moldflow - currently, highest possible CPU freq. is the key to faster calculation. In our case, new 2.3GHz v3 monster vs 2.66 GHz 3 year old one yields in expected 12% less performance. But this will change in future, so who knows...

Message 17 of 26
Idea_Mel

So you're telling that a Dual Xeon E52620v3 could have worse performances than a single E3-1240v2 or a i7-4790k for example?

I would really know the answer because the price difference is really big. 

Did anyone tested the differences between a single or a dual Xeon processor?

Message 18 of 26
CaeTecos2021
in reply to: Idea_Mel

I am just saying what I was told. My guess is it's not that simple. However, in reality we see that our old 2.66GHz 6core X5650 performs better than the new 2.3GHz E2570 v3 12core with 1000+USD price tag. Talk about what fools we are :-S

I am waiting on an answer from Autodesk what are the most important features. We figured faster RAM is one of the keys so we went for v3 because of that. That yielded in low frequency so we didn't spend even more on CPUs...

Message 19 of 26
Idea_Mel

Ok thanks, let us know what Autodesk answered.

I agree with the RAM subject, so I will consider v3 Xeon series (that support DDR4 ECC)

The question to solve for my needing is: 2620v3 VS 1650v3 VS Dual 2620v3

Message 20 of 26
maxmarautodesk
in reply to: Idea_Mel

Dear all,

I have started this thread and I am hoping to help you with my answer. It is based on my experience with our new simulation computer (configuration can be found at the beginning of the thread) and the contact with Autodesk and MF Software (the redistributor of Autodesk Moldflow in Germany). MF Software was very helpful on this matter.

First you have to think about what kind of analyses you will run and how you use Moldflow in your daily work:

• The filling, packing, warping analyses require much computing power, but not so much RAM. This means for that kind of analyses you need a powerful CPU, but not so much RAM. I was not even able to fill 16 GB of RAM on our old workstation with 2-3 filling jobs at the same time.
  • The cooling simulation requires much RAM, but not so much computing power. If you run several cooling simulations at the same time, I recommend 64 GB of RAM. I managed to almost fill this amount entirely with 3-4 cooling jobs at the same time.

According to MF Software and also confirmed by my experience, it does not makes sense to use CPUs with more than 6-8 physical cores. I think Autodesk does not mention any limitations for Moldflow, but I think one can say for certain that Moldflow supports multi-core computation. However, it seems that even when I run 8-10 jobs at the same time on our new workstation, Moldflow does not really take full advantage of all the cores (physical and virtual). When looking at the Windows ressource monitor, some of the cores are hardly used and run only at very low levels of usage.

If you are thinking about buying a new computer, I recommend therefore that you go for a CPU with about 6-8 cores and as many GHz as possible. That's why I have chosen the XEON E5-2687W v2 with 3.4 GHz (Turbo: 4 GHz). It provides simply the highest frequency I could find for the right amount of cores. In addition to the frequency, my feeling is that the cache per core is also very important to keep the CPU at high pace. 

"So you're telling that a Dual Xeon E52620v3 could have worse performances than a single E3-1240v2 or a i7-4790k for example?"
According to the specs of Intel, the Xeon E5-2620v3 has 6 cores and 2 GHz basic/2.5 GHz turbo frequency. The E3-1240v2 has 4 cores and runs at 3.4 GHz basic /3.8 GHz turbo frequency. The i7 has also 4 cores, but runs at 4 GHz basic/4.4 GHz turbo frequency. If you run only 1-2 jobs on your machine, I believe the i7 would be the fastest and the E5 the slowest CPU.

In my opinion one should consequently also take into considerations how many jobs run on the workstation at the same time. I believe, if you work in more "sequential" manner, meaning you run one analysis, look at the results, change your model, run the analysis again and iterate that process many times, the better choice is a very fast CPU with smaller amount of cores, like the aforementioned i7.
Vice versa, if you work in a "parallel" manner, meaning you built up the simulation model and then want to run the same model let's say with different materials, you want to analyze them at the same time and compare the results rather than analyze one after the other. I think it makes then more sense to get a new machine with 6-8 cores and perhaps decrease the speed for getting the most value for your money. In your example this would thus be the E5.

In my experience, most ATI/AMD graphics cards are not supported by Autodesk Moldflow. They cannot be used for computation support of the CPU. On our old workstation the ATI graphics card did cause a lot of trouble. I therefore strongly recommend NVIDIA cards. 

According to my talk with MF Software, you can say the GPU computation speed is 8x of a CPU as a rule of thumb. I guess that makes sense if you look at the pure number for Gigaflops (floating point operations) per second and I am pretty sure you can find confirming opinions somewhere on the internet. I can personally also confirm that the GPU is much faster than the CPU. The NVIDIA K500 in our new workstation can be used by Moldflow. When looking in the analysis log file while the analysis is running, the time steps are worked off and coughed out very quickly. As soon as the message appears the GPU does not have enough RAM anymore and is switched off for the computation, the working off of the time steps significantly slowes down. However, this is a personal perception and not based on any serious analysis. As just mentioned, the GPU is useful as long as the integrated RAM of the graphics card is large enough to accomodate the simulation model. With every time step and therefore every node that the plastic flow reaches my impression is that the model becomes larger. For large models and a small amount of RAM, the model is eventually too large for the graphics card.

That is the reason why we have chosen the K5000 with 4 GB RAM instead of a combination of the K4000 and the Tesla K20. The Tesla K20 might be much faster compared to the K5000, when you look at the floating point operations. Since the RAM is much smaller, it will be switched off much earlier in any analysis though. 

To sum it up for a fixed budget:

• Few jobs: CPU as fast as possible, as much cache per core as possible, 4-6 cores.
  • Many jobs in parallel: 6-8 cores, as much cache per core as possible, CPU bit slower to stay in budget
  • Many cooling jobs and/or no mesh aggregation: much RAM (>= 64 GB)
  • Focus on filling/packing/warpage and/or mesh aggregation on: less RAM (<= 32 GB)
  • NVIDIA GPU with much RAM to take advantage of it as long as possible.

For your information, the default setting for any analysis is mesh aggregation being switched on.

Hoping this helps!
Max

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report