Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow analysis using only 8% of CPU

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
piepCAE
1321 Views, 3 Replies

Flow analysis using only 8% of CPU

Hello,

I've noticed that when running a Dual Domain flow analysis the flow.exe process doesn't use more than 8% of the CPU. It runs constantly at 8% and there is activity only in 6 of the 12 available threads. The CPU has 6 cores with hyperthreading. RAM usage doesn't seem to be a problem because depending on the analysis size it uses different amounts of memory, so it's not limited as the CPU usage.

So is this normal or aren't my workstation capabilities being fully used? How can I fix this?

I have a 64 bit Intel Xeon X5650 i7 CPU, 24 Gb RAM, running Win7, and AMI 2012.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Carlos

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
nordhb
in reply to: piepCAE

Hi Carlos,
this is normal, as Dual Domain do not use parallel processing in flow.exe.
If you view Task Manager, Performance, the number of windows of CPU Usage History shows cores you have access to and how they are loaded.
From your description there is access to 12 threads (or is this a dual cpu x 6cores = 12 cores?), each core/thread is about 8.3% (100/12) to sum up to 100%.
A flow.exe running 100%, will use one thread to it's maximum, which is 8.3%.

Parallel processing for Dual Domain or Midplane mesh types are currently not available in the Autodesk Moldflow Insight 2012 release.
There is an Autodesk Labs release, where this is available for testing.
Please, have a look at:
http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/moldflow_scandium/

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 3 of 4
piepCAE
in reply to: nordhb

Dear Berndt,

Thanks for the quick reply. So the 8% usage corresponds to one thread running at 100%, I understand. What happens is that 6 from the 12 threads have activity, there isn't a thread running at 100%, I guess the activity is split through 6 threads.

I'll test the Scandium products and post my feedback on it.

Regards,

Carlos

Message 4 of 4
abakharev
in reply to: piepCAE

Yes, Windows distributes one thread evenly among available processors.

You do not have much multithreading speedup for dual domain flow but the silver lining is that you can run 11 dual domain analyses simultaneusly without degrading the computational speed and still have a core to run GUI with a reasonable speed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report