Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Domain to Midplane questions

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
solymossy
860 Views, 11 Replies

Dual Domain to Midplane questions

Hi All!

I wanted to transform a Dual Domain model to Midplane. But I have failed. Than I did some research and succeded with some models. But I have a simple dog-bone shaped model that I can not transform. (Attached the stl.) It just disappears after transformation. Before I check DD mesh match and set EDGE attribute to the edge triangles. I check the thicknesses also. And nothing. Why?

The second anomaly is that I managed to transform DD models to midplane BUT they look like if they haven't been transformed. On the lefthand pane it tells me that the modell is midplane. If I check the properties of a triangle, it is a midplane triangle. But the model looks just like the starting dd model. 😐 Why is that?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
TimPalmer2390
in reply to: solymossy

Hi Solymossy,

As far as I know, the transition from Dual Domain to Midplane is not automatic. The midplane moldel must be built as a midplane model from the beginning. This is usually done in another CAD modeler or a Moldflow add-on capable of creating a midplane model from a solid model. Then thickness properties must be manually assigned to each surface (or element) of the model. Changing the mesh-type setting will make the software think that an exterior surface mesh is some sort of strange hollow part, but it will not collapse the outer surface to a true midplane geometry. For this more powerful tools are needed.

-Tim Palmer
Message 3 of 12
solymossy

Hi Tim!

As far as I know You are not 100% right. The official guide sais the following (see attachement). I suppose You do have a point but Mflow should handle simple geometries as the one I've posted here.
Message 4 of 12
TimPalmer2390

Hi Solymossy,

Interesting... this may be an "under-documented" feature. In the documentation I have, it says you need the midplane-generator add-on to do something like this. Ask your moldflow rep if you have this add-on or if you need to buy it seperately.

I agree, this would be a nice feature if it worked.

-Tim Palmer
Message 5 of 12
sadashiv

Tim you are right here we need add on feature to generate Midplan mesh. I discussed the same topic here 2 to 3 years ago. People are using this feature without knowing that they have it. But some of moldflow user dont have this feature. They have bought it but dont know what they have bought because they are end user and Max licence management is done by team leader or manger n bla bla not imp... it is all about business.

This is why it is useful to generate Midsurface in a good professional software like Hypermesh and export it as .nas file. or u can also generate mid surface using catia n UG and Ideas

And the Moldflow Midsurface feature is good for simple geometries but when it comes to Complex parts it better to use some other software like Hypermesh

Edited by: sadashiv on Feb 16, 2010 7:51 AM Edited by: sadashiv on Feb 16, 2010 7:52 AM
Message 6 of 12

Solymossy,

I can able to do it, once you import the model repeat the steps, you will get it...

MRK
Message 7 of 12
solymossy

Hi All!

As an Autodesk VAR I do have access (ok that is not that true) to almost everything they have for Moldflow. So that must be the reason that I have the Midplane add-on. Although on the detailed AMI brochure I do not find any Midplane add-on. Just that even Basic AMI has Midplane support.

I agree that Moldflow's midplane capabilities are limited and if someone wanted to have good midplane, he/she has to find another solution.

Tim! As THE Moldflow guy in Hungary I do not have the option to ask anybody. Because it's me. 😐 So that is why I am asking here! 🙂

Thanks again!
Message 8 of 12

Solymossy,

Once import the model, it appears midplane on left hand side, double click on that and follow the steps above you mentioned that is :
1.Tick the box, remesh already meshed part
2.source file as DD
3.give the required desity
4. ok

it will automatically convet the DD to midplane and mesh it automatically.

MRK
Message 9 of 12
solymossy

Dear MRK!

Have You tried my STL that I have posted in my forst post? I did everything according to the "rulebook" and eventually the model disappears. 😮

Thanks
Message 10 of 12
sadashiv

Hallo Solymossy
I opened you are .stl file as Fusion mesh and set mesh type to Midplane and after meshing i get only mid surface mesh. Just on 1 surface becuase i have the add on feature. please contact you are local support and also check the units when you import.
and Mr MRK is using the add on feature so he can also generate Midplan but the fact remains that the feature which he is using is not provided to all Moldflow users you have to buy it. ... It is also possible with all the new licences this feature is given for free.
So all the best
Message 11 of 12
solymossy

Hi Sadashiv!

As an AMI2010-R2 user I do not know where to find this add-on. It is not listed in the brochure and not listed in Autodesk's pricelist for Resellers. So I am sure it is included in the "new" AMI 2010 packages.

But You are right in every word!!! If I opened the STL and import it as a midplane model directly and mesh it, everything works!!! But what I do not understand is that in the official training supplement it is stated that You can do the trick as I have written above.

Anyway as an Autodesk Reseller I am responsible for Moldflow in the neighbourhood. (And I am my own Support Engineer and Training Engineer also. So I am asking questions here because if I wanted I could only contact myself according to the official way of doing things. 😉 )

Thanks again!!!
Message 12 of 12
sadashiv

Hallo Solymossy

Its nice that you are learning on you are own. it will take little more time but you will learn a lot. I have also learned Moldflow without any offical training. But i used to work on the injection moulding machine a lot.
Keep it up and here you can ask all the questions every one will help you.

have a nice day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report