Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different mesh size/less elements or more elements/equal mesh size?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
harald_goetz
532 Views, 1 Reply

Different mesh size/less elements or more elements/equal mesh size?

I've had some nice discussion at the Euromold fair recently.

Since there are many "rants and raves" about meshing, mesh types, mesh sizes I would like to ask the Moldflow team and
others Users about their experience with meshsize and element count.

1. Could it be that a fine mesh with a homogenious mesh size calculates faster than a mesh with inhomogenius mesh size?

2. Does a mesh with a good AR calculates faster than a mesh with bad AR at the same element count?
     (This questions goes without regard to solution quality!)

Very obvious I could do a benchmark on my own, but maybe we save some time if we share some experiences here.

3. If there is something lieke a rule about the questions above, does the suggestion of mesh size in MF takes that into accout?

Other question I have aremore related to different approaches like "skin and core mesh"
(Moldex, Simpoe) or Hexmesh/ Voxel approach (Sigma, Simpoe).

There seemed to be advantages as well as disadvantages about every approach, but I would be glad to have a choice

and make meshing of whole tools easier than it is now (as an example).

Calculation time is not the main factor, if you see 40.000.000 Hex elements builing a solution within 2 hours (not really bad).

Best regards

Harald

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
xusho
in reply to: harald_goetz

Hi Harald,

In general, a mesh with good AR will probably converge faster. Elements with bad shape will also have impact to analysis accuracy.

However, different solvers may respond differently to mesh changes. It depends on implementations.

The default values for mesh size are basically calculated based on model dimensions.

Many users do not use default values.

We recommend users to look at models/meshes closely and determine mesh size and other control parameters carefully.

Default parameters do not suit all models.

Shoudong Xu
Autodesk Moldflow Meshing
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report