Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core Shift Analysis - Core contact detection

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
piepCAE
1656 Views, 2 Replies

Core Shift Analysis - Core contact detection

Hello,

Does Modflow detect contact between cores when performing a Core Shift analysis using multiple cores?

Please see attachment.

I'm performing an analysis using metal inserts and I want to calculate the insert displacement during filling. In this specific analysis one large metal insert is fixed in both ends and then there are small inserts that prevent the displacement of the large insert in a certain direction. What seems to be the problem is that when the large insert stars to deform it penetrates the small inserts!!! The workaround is to constraint the nodes directly on the large insert and to forget about the small ones, but I'd prefer to model the full assemble for realism purposes. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for your support.

Best regards,

Carlos

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
PascalGosset
in reply to: piepCAE

No, it doesn't.

So you must simulate the small cores setting constrains where they occur.

Take care about the results. The core shift analysis is not terrific.

See the exemple joined.

I voluntarily off-center the core. The thicker wall of the part is filled first.

The pressure deforms the core until it is in contact with the mold (at 1.34 s).

1st trouble : the core deplacement is 1.56 mm, although the wall thickness is 1.5 mm.

2nd trouble : the filling of the thinner wall continues ! ! !

Signature: "Maybe Moldflow does not work properly, but the real world neither" my son...6 years old 😉

Message 3 of 3
piepCAE
in reply to: PascalGosset

Thanks for your answer.

In fact that's what I did, I constrained the nodes of the large insert that would be in contact with the small ones if they where there. Anyway, I still find that as work around the problem, but I believe Autodesk is addressing it already.

I'm aware that the core shift analysis isn't terrific, but thanks for the recall!

Regards,

Carlos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report