Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling BEM, warnings, too long analysis

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
teopado89
478 Views, 5 Replies

Cooling BEM, warnings, too long analysis

Hi, i'm running a cool+fill+pack+warp analysis.

This analysis takes almost 2 DAYS to run.

i have 2 models in 3d mesh 542k thetras, 2 inserts 3d mesh and the cooling circuits.

I don't know why it takes so long (during the analysis for 1 full day the job manager said the cooling was at 100% but filling+pack didn't start immediately. CPU was almost 4-5%, and RAM (24.5GB total) was almost full (22-23GB) with only this analysis active.

Do you know which could be the reason please?

cool analysis gives me these two warnings:

1) closeness error on thetras (now i tried to resolve switching back to dual domain mesh, recreate areas with closeness warning, switch again to 3d mesh). Now i'm running the same analysis but it seems not faster.

2) bad length/diameter on gates and sprue.

How should i model them?

Gate cone has an initial diameter of 2mm and a final diameter of 8, sprue diameter is 8mm. Length is about 10-15mm.

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
teopado89
in reply to: teopado89

EDIT: sorry, tetra elements almost 5.464.000

Message 3 of 6

Hi,

if your system has only 24GB of RAM, this might be causing the Problem as it hits the limits.

Then it starts swapping data between RAM and HDD wich is absolutly slowing down the system and the reason for the the CPU going down to 4-5%.

To avoid this, try using less elements or use Cool FEM.

Regards

olaf

Message 4 of 6
xusho
in reply to: OlafSchneider7067

RE: closeness

After re-generating DD mesh, check Closeness diagnostics before re-generating 3D mesh.

If it still happens, please contact Moldlfow support, and let them raise an issue with your sdy file. Your files will be kept confidential.

RE: low l/D ratio of beams

If the beams are on gate/sprues, do not worry about them unless you see hot spot in that area.

Shoudong Xu
Autodesk Moldflow Meshing
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com
Message 5 of 6
madhukeshwart
in reply to: teopado89

Moldflow BEM (cool) takes more time during following scenario 

1.  Cool analysis is not converging, then do following changes  

On the Cool Settings page of the Process Settings Wizard, click Cool solver parameters and

•  Increase the Maximum number of mold temperature iterations. 
  •  Increase the Mold temperature convergence tolerance

2.  L/D ratio is important in cooling channels 

Ignore in feed system, especially in gates and smaller section of feed system 

3.  Closeness error on thetras. 

Better to fix all warnings.

4. Create mold boundry.

5. If Number elements are more.

Review the mesh density in the part and on cooling circuits, and remesh using a coarser mesh if possible.

6. Check Temporary files location 

• Change to Drive which having more memory/ free space. 
  • Check your temp directory is properly set in registry for both Synery and Insight
  • Check the same in  job manager
  • Check your temp directory is properly set in registry : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Moldflow Insight\2015\Environmen

7. Not enough memory System memeory/ RAM memory 

Try to run with system having more free space / RAM memory 

Use a machine with enough RAM. If you don't have enoug RAM, it will put it on your hard disk, and then the time will be long as the CPU will have to get the data from it.

It is easy to check, if you look in task manager and see cool is not using 1 core full time, that mean it is runningon disk and will be pretty slow.

Look at start of LOG in cool :

Total Mbytes required for Cool analysis = 3628.13. So for example here we need 3.6 gig of memory.

Even close the synergy to save some RAM also, while analysis is running, if you are a bit short on RAM memory

8. If nothing helping Use 'Cool (FEM) & Use multi threading capability.

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 6 of 6
teopado89
in reply to: madhukeshwart

Thanks everyone for the advices.

I think the main problem was the high number of elements.

If in further project i'll have the same problem i'll apply your suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report