Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clamp force prediction?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
rmathan
1063 Views, 10 Replies

Clamp force prediction?

Dear Friends,

Will the moldflow predits correct clamp force if the part is in YZ plane? ie, injection from X axis direction.

Thanks & Regards,

Mathankumar. R

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
abakharev
in reply to: rmathan

No, the clamp force predictions will be invalid.

You have to rotate the whole model so the mold moving is in Z-direction.

Message 3 of 11
rmathan
in reply to: abakharev

Thanks a lot!

I have one more query. Clamp force prediction will be invalid if mold moving is other than Z axis direction. and how about the deflection results if mold moving is other than Z axis direction?

Regards,

Mathankumar. R

Message 4 of 11
abakharev

Clamp forece will be invalid but all other results should be all right (assuming we do not hit the injection molding machine limit on clamp force). The correct results include Warpage Deflection and Mold/Insert/Core Deflection.

Message 5 of 11
rmathan
in reply to: abakharev

Thank you!

Regards,

Mathankumar. R

Message 6 of 11
jim.mcguire

While the clamp force may be incorrect, it IS possible to get the correct value:

• Results, New Plot, Custom, Clamp Force on Parting Plane, specify X as the parting plane normal direction.

This seems to be an often-overlooked enhancement which was made quite some time ago.

Best regards,

Jim

Message 7 of 11
rmathan
in reply to: jim.mcguire

Thanks! Jim

I got moldflow results from clients. The part is in YZ plane. I am practising Z as the parting plane direction. I think of the projected area prediction in moldflow software. 

I don't know this option. Thank you once again!

Regards,

Mathankumar. R

Message 8 of 11
greeen7

is there any way to just get the projected area without rotating the part like making some custom plot?

Message 9 of 11
rmathan
in reply to: greeen7

Dear greeen7

Actually I don't think there will be custom plot for projected area.

Regards,

Mathankumar. R

Message 10 of 11
nordhb

Hi,
please, first have a look at this recently posted blog article:
http://autodesk.typepad.com/beyondmoldflowinsight/2012/09/setting-different-mold-opening-direction-f... 

There is a way to get projected surface area information, which might help you:
If you want the projected area only (no clamp force calculation) for more cavity/mold orientations, you can set the parting plane by the script, start analysis, when log shows the projected area you can stop the analysis.
(The set of parting plane is for mesh type and solver of Dual Domain and Midplane.)

The projected area is calculated by flow solver, as you can decide which elements to be considered for clamp force calculation (element properties: Exclude from clamp force calculation)

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 11 of 11
greeen7
in reply to: nordhb

Thank you very much!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report