Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Orientation of Part for Injection Compression

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
saurabh.essilor
828 Views, 2 Replies

Changing Orientation of Part for Injection Compression

Hello,

Currently we have a lot of parts which are all random oriented since in the past it never mattered.  Now that we want to try to perform Injection compression simulation we have to make sure the part is oriented with the Z going perpendicular to our parting line.  I have not been able to find a way to reorient the part so that we can perform this analysis.  Today we are using Solidworks and with the numerous numbers of randomly referenced geometries it is impossible to simply change the original.

I have tried the "move" option in Insight 2015 however I can never select a suitable piece to perform a rotation.

Please help.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hello payninater,

In regards to you mentioning you tried the "move" options n Moldflow - have you used the "Rotate" option? This is the best way to rotate your models inside of Moldflow. I've listed the steps to do this below:

1. Turn on all layers.
  2. Select all components of the part (either box select everything or under the selection tools in geometry and mesh options, choose "Select All").
  3. Select "Move" then scroll to "Rotate". 2014-09-26_1232.png
  4. Make sure everything in your model is selected still, then rotate about the different axis to the desired orientation. This can sometimes be tricky depending on the original orientation, so I would sugggest rotating with 90 degree increments and keep an eye on the coordinate system. You may need to rotate it about more than one axis to get to the desired orientation. 

Alternately, you can rotate the model in your CAD program prior to importing. The technique to do this varies between CAD programs however. 

I hope this helps! If not, please feel free to respond. 

Regards,

Kristen Kilroy

Thank you.  This worked perfectly. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report