Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

big big problem: meshing a whole mold fails

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
phammer
620 Views, 7 Replies

big big problem: meshing a whole mold fails

Hi everybody,

I'm trying for a week now to mesh a whole mold.

severel sliders and two cores are included. Everytime I try to mesh I get the failure: fallback from tesselation error. 

I corrected the assembly in Caddoctor EX and I generated the part from cavity in Caddoctor. 

I was thinking in this way cavity faces should lay correctly. But no chance until now.

Meshin it with precise match in 2014 does not work. 

Any hints for me?.

Is it important to mesh with precise match when meshing assemblys?

I'm out of ideas?

Greetings

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: phammer

Are you combining (stitch) the part, cores and slides before meshing mold?  I could be wrong as I've only done it a few times, but I think they all need to be stitched into one entity in order to properly mesh the mold.  Then you will need to import each part, insert, core, etc back into the mold mesh as the individually meshed pieces.  But the Moldf mesher needs to have one mesh to mesh around.  At least that's how I remember it working.

Tim

Message 3 of 8
phammer

Hello, 

yes you are right. But stitching is only nessesary if you want to generate the mold block with the mold surface generator.

But in my case everything will be importet a an assembly, even the mold. So you don't have to stitch.

philipp

Message 4 of 8
yannick.moret

You don't need to use precise match. The solver will handle non matching element without any issue.

Only recommandation I would give is that edge length to be roughly the same on the face in contact.

Message 5 of 8
phammer
in reply to: yannick.moret

I know that precise match is not necessary, but

1. I have assemblies with 30 cad bodys. To set edge length at surface takes much time. 

2. depending on edge length I'm not sure. I feel better with matching nodes. Especially when precise warpage is important

philipp

Message 6 of 8
yannick.moret

What matter for precise match is intersection. So you need to check in your CAD system if there are intersection between solids.

30 components but are all of them inserts and parts ?

If you are worried about warpage, then mesh the parts and its insert in one model.

Then mesh the mold and its insert in another model.

Maybe the precise match is failing because of a few components. Splitting your models (or hide bodies you don't want to mesh) and meshing by groups willa llow you to identify which one are not accepting the precise match constrain for the meshing. And maybe those are not critical for your analysis.

But I encourage you to do test on simple part with and without matching, you might gain some confidences)

Hope this helps

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: yannick.moret

HI

not all is insert and parts. In the 30 cad bodies are also the sliders, cores, mold plates, etc.

Actually I have no Idea what kind of defect in my assemblies cause the failback.

We also have cad doctor and I repair everything before simulation. Also we check for intersection and other stuff.

I hate it not knowing the cause. If I would know what surface or anything else is defekt, I could solve it.

Are you sure that hiding a body is neough to check if precise match works between not hidden bodies?

Philipp

Message 8 of 8
yannick.moret
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Philip,

Hiding bodies might work, but not in 100% of the case. It depends if the problem is occuring when we ar doing a booelan operation to join the CAD model, or if the syrface created by this boolean operation has issue.

In your case, I would try to mesh anyway the bodies taken into account in warp seperaltely, and see if you can mesh them with precise mesh option.

In any case, I would suggest to pass your case through our support department. We might be able to give you more clue on where it fails, and use your case to see how to improve our diagnostics.

Note also, you can do test ons imple model with and without precise match, and see that differences will be minor.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Yannick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report