Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam L/D ratio

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
xusho
490 Views, 1 Reply

Beam L/D ratio

Users may see the following message when running cool analysis:

** WARNING 701360 ** Beam element 100 has a very bad length/diameter ratio

A customer asked me about this message. I have checked with Moldflow solver developer. Here is the answer:

This message means some beam elements are too short compared to diameter. It may generate problems for cool analysis, but not always.

If you see this message in analysis log, the first thing to do is to check whether cool solver has finished properly without convergence problems.

The second step is to check temperature on beams.

If cool solver did not have convergenevce probelms, and temperature on beams is normal (no hot spot), do not worry about that message.

If you see convergenevce probelms, then find relevant beam elements by Query button on Utilities ribbon. The warning message mentions the label of beam element, eg 100 in the above example. On Query dialog, fill in B100, click "Place results into diagnostics layer", click Show. Find that beam element by toggling layers. If that beam element is short, merge it with its neighor.

Repeat for other beams mentioned in the warning message.

Re-run analysis.

Please note:  merge beams only when you see unusual results/behaviors.

Ignore it if results are normal.

Shoudong Xu
Autodesk Moldflow Meshing
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
nishit78
in reply to: xusho

I believe this "check" also does not differentiate between gate beams and cooling circuit beams. So that another thing to be aware of.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report