Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Moldflow Structural Alliance 2011 for ANSYS and Abaqus

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
raalteh
3687 Views, 8 Replies

Autodesk Moldflow Structural Alliance 2011 for ANSYS and Abaqus

Dear Customers,

Autodesk Moldflow Structural Alliance allows structural Engineers to make use of mechanical properties calculated by Autodesk Moldflow Adviser and Insight injection molding simulation software. Using material properties calculated by Autodesk Moldflow Adviser and Insight is particularly critical when using fiber filled polymers, as the products stiffness is largely determined by the manufacturing process.

Autodesk Moldflow Structural Alliance uses a mapping process to bring the mechanical properties that are calculated on a Dual Domain or 3D model in Autodesk Moldflow Adviser and Insight to the Structural Analysis package. The mapping process allows the Autodesk Moldflow products and the Structural Analysis package to use the mesh that is best suited for the application. As a result, the Structural Analysis on the plastic part or assembly can be done quickly, without compromising accuracy.

Autodesk Moldflow Structural Alliance (AMSA) 2011 is now available for both ANSYS and Abaqus. This release supports:

• ANSYS 11 & 12 (both Classic and Workbench, 32 and 64 bit). 
  • Abaqus 6.7 and 6.9 (32 and 64 bit).

To download AMSA 2011 for Abaqus or ANSYS (Classic or Workbench), please log in to Subscription center: http://subscription.autodesk.com

Best regards,

Hanno van Raalte

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Kocherperle
in reply to: raalteh

Hello,

I have two questions regarding AMSA 2011 for ANSYS.

1.) During installation of AMSA 2011, I noticed that only ANSYS 12.0 is supported, while the current official ANSYS release is 12.1. Is there a workaround for using ANSYS 12.1 together with AMSA?

2.) As you may know, ANSYS 13 is already in the pipeline and will be released within the next few months. Do you have any support plans for this release by now, e.g. will it be usable with AMSA 2012?

Main thing is, we're usually relatively fast in updating our CAE software so for using AMSA it's necessary to keep an old release installed which is not very comfortable and requires seperate data structures since the old releases usually can't read cases created by newer ones.

Thanks + best regards,

K.

Message 3 of 9
raalteh
in reply to: Kocherperle

Dear K.,

Unfortunately, this is one of the inherently hard parts of interface products in general: making sure the latest version is supported. Different products have their own release cycle, and while a product is updated to support release x.0, the x.1 release is ready to be launched. Or in another scenario, the product development is reaching the end of a development cycle, when the other product launches.

However unpleasant this is, it is unavoidable. We intend to keep the discrepancies to a minimum but there are many constraints.

Hanno

Hanno van Raalte,

Message 4 of 9
john_peters

I am not seeing the download for the upgrade of Moldflow MPI, MPA, or AMSA 2011 in the list when I log into the Subscription center: http://subscription.autodesk.com.  I am now using the 2010 version and want to upgrade to 2011, but can not find the links for Moldflow products.

Message 5 of 9
raalteh
in reply to: john_peters

Hi John,

If you are on active subscription, you should be able to see an upgrade option after logging into subscription center.

If you have problems, please contact your support representative. He/she should be able to help you out.

Best regards,

Hanno van Raalte

Hanno van Raalte,

Message 6 of 9
maruggi2008

Dear all,

i would like to have some in depth theorical information about the data that moldflow trasfer to abaqus.

For example:

1) the elastic modules (E1, E2) in each point (element) of the structural simulation is trasferred?

2) the residual stresses are trsferred

3) the values trasferred change also along the thikness or not?

4) there is some document where it is possible to have information about the structural alliance work? (the document i found describe only the procedure to connect moldflow to abaqus and not the theoretic aspects)

Thanks in advance

Marco Salvador

Step Engineering

Message 7 of 9
raalteh
in reply to: maruggi2008

Hi Marco,

1) the elastic modules (E1, E2) in each point (element) of the structural simulation is trasferred?

AMSA passes the E-moduli (E1, E2, E3), poissons ratios (v12, v13, v23) and the Shear Moduli (G12, G13, G23) for every point calculated in the Moldlfow model to the Gauss points in a structural mesh. 

2) the residual stresses are trsferred

Not in the current 2011 product. Both residual stresses and CTE's are highly desired enhancements.

3) the values trasferred change also along the thikness or not?

Yes, Moldflow calculates the values throughout the part and throughout the thickness, and Autodesk Moldflow Structural Alliance maps all these values to the gauss points in the structural mesh. In order to not loose too much information, the structural mesh should not be too coarse, and a higher mesh desnity may be required than for a regular structural analysis.

4) there is some document where it is possible to have information about the structural alliance work? (the document i found describe only the procedure to connect moldflow to abaqus and not the theoretic aspects).

I agree, there is not a lot of deep technical information available, but this is partially because what it does is relatively simple and elegant. In a nut shell you can say:

AMSA does not generate data itself, but it acts like an interpreter for the structural analysis codes to use the Moldflow analysis results. The structural analyses solvers require the mechanical properties on gauss points in the model, and it will 'ask' AMSA what the mechanical properties are for a specific coordinate. AMSA will use the Molflow model and result file to determine the mechanical properties at the required coordinate and passes the information 'on the fly' back to the structural code.   

I hope this helps. You local support contact should be able to help you with any further questions.

Hanno

Hanno van Raalte,

Message 8 of 9
maruggi2008

Dear Hanno,

I see in AMSA documentation that in Abaqus I have to define the material including the mechanical constants.

I defined the material both using orthotropic features (D1111, D2222, D3333, D1122, D1133, D2233, D1212, D1313, D2323 etc.)and  the engineering constants (E1, E2, E3, Nu12, Nu13, Nu23, G12, G13, G23) but at the moment the tests we made don't work.

Have I to use the Material User option?

Which mechanical constants I have to define?

It is possible to have a detailed example for the use of AMSA.

Thanks in advance

Marco Salvador

Step Engineering

Message 9 of 9
Ncu-me
in reply to: maruggi2008

Hi All,

I have tried AMSA 2011 ANSYS but can't work.

ANSYS Classis fail to launch and I can't preparing the ANSYS model.

I have check menulist110.ans file and the three main lines could be found as mentioned in installation guideline.

Please share with me if anyone work smooth on AMSA 2011 and ANSYS Classis can be launched.

Regards,

Ncu-me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report