Discussion Groups

Simulation Moldflow Insight

beto_pistola
Accepted Solution

3D MOLD MESH for a COOL (FEM) analisys (MoldlFlow 2012) problem in mesh creator

1476 Views, 12 Replies
08-30-2011 12:51 PM

I am using the newer version of Moldflow 2012 in a Cool (FEM) analisys, but I couldn´t run the analisys.

I did the following steps:

- I created a mold boundary using the "Mold Surface Wizard"

- then run the "Create a Mold Mesh" with default values

but a error is showed:

** Error 1900304 ** Failed to generate mold surface mesh. Please check the model.

What I have to do to create a mold mesh in Cool (FEM) analisys?

Thanks for any help

Please use plain text.
Product Support
nordhb

Re: 3D MOLD MESH for a COOL (FEM) analisys (MoldlFlow 2012) problem in mesh crea

09-01-2011 04:57 AM in reply to: beto_pistola

Hi,
this procedure can be used:
- first you have the 3D tetra meshed cavity model
- create the cooling circuits, and mesh to have beams
- set analysis sequence to Cool FEM, and create mold surfaces by wizard.
The cooling beam elements should pass the mold surface regions.
The surface regions are not meshed at this stage.

Layer turned on:
- cavity tetra mesh
- cooling channels
- mold surface regions
(Others to be turned off.)

Create mold mesh...
Meshing is done in two steps.
This is seen in mesh log:
"A mold surface mesh has been created. Please check the mesh.
A 3D mold mesh can be generated by double-clicking Create 3D Mold Mesh again."

After first step, mold surface mesh has been created, you can check if there are any
mesh quality issues before progressing and generate the 3D mold mesh.
There are two layers created for mold surface mesh:
Mold Internal Triangles
Mold External Triangles

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Please use plain text.
Contributor
EnderPearl

Re: 3D MOLD MESH for a COOL (FEM) analisys (MoldlFlow 2012) problem in mesh crea

01-10-2013 05:38 AM in reply to: beto_pistola

Hello!

I have a problem with 3d mold mesh and cooling channel connectivity. i've read through the topics but I couldn't find info about this. (Moldflow 2013 Insight)

So the problem is that the beam elements of the cooling channels are crossing the mold mesh, there's no connectivity between them. (see attached picture).

According to this I get this warning messeage from the solver:

**WARNING 312065 ** Beam [Bxxxxx] does not touch any mold elements.

Okay, I understand the problem but I couldn't find any help or info how can I connect them. Please excuse me, might be a dumb question.

My method to build up the modell was the following:

- Importing the assembly

- creating the cooling channels (beam elements and baffles)

- creating the 3d part mesh

- creating the hot runner system (beam elements)

- creating the 3d mold mesh

BR:

András

Please use plain text.
Product Support
nordhb

01-10-2013 06:21 AM in reply to: EnderPearl

Hi,

the mold need to be of property Mold surface (is automatically if using Mold Surface Wizard), or Mold block (3D) if a cad body.

When meshing mold block for Cool FEM, the layer(s) with beams and center lines/curves as to be on/visible.

From the picture supplied, I believe the cooling channel center lines/curves was hidden when meshing.

Remesh mold with Layers turned on:
- cavity tetra mesh
- cooling channels with beams and center lines/curves
- runners with beams and center lines/curves
- mold surface regions
(Others to be turned off.)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Please use plain text.
Contributor
EnderPearl

01-10-2013 11:29 AM in reply to: beto_pistola

Hello!

Thanks for your answer! Unfortunately I still have the error. I tried several times but it stays the same.

I also checked the box at the mold mesh generator tab "Mesh on assembly: precise match".

I attached a picture about the model with the selected layers just before generating the mesh.

The layers are:

- New Body tetras 1 and 2 are the tetras of the parts to be injected.

- IGES curves: I imported the cooling channel curves in IGES

- COOLING and RUNNER layers are for these beams

- CAD Body xx are the parts of the Mold Block.

All other layers are empty.

Any hints are welcome!

BR,

András

Please use plain text.
Contributor
EnderPearl

01-10-2013 01:08 PM in reply to: EnderPearl

Hello!

I think, I've found the mistake.

Is it a must to have the cooling channels in the imported mold CAD parts? I've imported simplified models without any hole for cooling channel.

BR,

András

Please use plain text.
Product Support
nordhb

01-11-2013 12:13 AM in reply to: EnderPearl

Hi,

yes, this might be the reason.

Looking at the picture provied in an earlier post, it looks as there are no cut outs in mold block for cooling channels and hot runners.

The mold block cad body must have cut outs for channels (cooling and runners), inserts and cavity.

Also, as you do by creating lines/curves center curves in CAD system for channels (cooling and runners), and export in iges format and import to Synergy, and then change the properties of lines/curves, and mesh to beams is a good workflow.

Further, from the picture provied in an earlier post is seems as hot runner system is not fully in a mold block.
If so, you will get the warning " **WARNING 312065 ** Beam [Bxxxxx] does not touch any mold elements.", as those hot runner beam elements does not touch any mold elements as well.

Regards,

Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Please use plain text.
Contributor
EnderPearl

01-12-2013 09:32 AM in reply to: nordhb

Thank you very much for your answers, the problem was the lack of the holes of the cooling channel!

BR

András

Please use plain text.
zinkbela

Re: 3D MOLD MESH for a COOL (FEM) analysis (MoldFlow 2012) problem in mesh crea

08-16-2013 07:42 AM in reply to: beto_pistola

Hello!

I'm using MF 2014 and I tried to run a Cool(FEM) analysis, but I can't mesh my mold. I've a model with 2 parts, sprue, runners and 2 cavities, one with conventional and one with conformal cooling. (see the picture attached)

My method to build up the model was the following:

1, I imported the step file from CAD,

2, meshed it with precise match on the contact faces,

3, set the properties to mold insert and channel(3D), so I had 2 channels, 4 mold inserts and a part,

4, built the mold surface,

5, mesh the mold surface, in the mesh log I read that MF doesn't recognized the channels, but the surface mesh run through, after that the 3D mesh failed, but in the mesh log there wasn't any errors showed.

After this I tried to mesh the part and the channels separated (the channels with 3D channel mesh wizard), but with this method the channels intersect the mesh of the cores.

Could you help me with my problem?

Best regards,

Béla

Please use plain text.
beto_pistola

08-19-2013 05:52 PM in reply to: beto_pistola

Hi,

In the 7th message of this post were described some solutions to the problems you wrote above.

Did you set a property to the  channels (cooling and runners)? I think MF read all the parts of CAD model as a mold...

Maybe, as an alternative, you can create lines and curves in your CAD system for channels (cooling and runners - the curves will be in the center of the channels), and export them in IGES format and import them to MF. Then change the properties of lines/curves, and mesh to beams. (message 7 of this post).

Please use plain text.