Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Meshing using third party software

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mppkumar
1101 Views, 6 Replies

3D Meshing using third party software

Hi

any one tried 3D mesh in third party software and imported into moldflow? 

could not able to launch the analysis with the mesh from 3rd party software; after remeshing only i could able to launch the analysis.

do we require to remesh it in Moldflow again? refer the attached image

Thanks

M P Pradeep Kumar

meshing.jpg

Thanks
M P Pradeep Kumar

If my views / comments acceptable, provide "Kudos" as appreciation, if answers your query, please click the "Accept as Solution"
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
harald_goetz
in reply to: mppkumar

Have a look at this presentation (video and / or PDF)

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2014/moldflow-insight/sm5706-p

You'll find out that every external 3D mesh is "flagged" and needs to be remeshed (as you did and foudn out already).

Except: Hypermesh!

But you need to export the mesh as *.udm file.

I've never meshed with HM so far (but have access to it, - maybe I should try?).

There are some reasons to use an external mesher, but I usually export only the skin mesh to MF and remesh it to 3D.

There is a "Built your simulation IQ" series ongoing, which will have meshing as the topic, I guess it was planned for January 2015.

Stay tuned.

Harald

Message 3 of 7
mppkumar
in reply to: harald_goetz

Hi

I will try to export as *.udm from HM

Thanks 

M P Pradeep Kumar

Thanks
M P Pradeep Kumar

If my views / comments acceptable, provide "Kudos" as appreciation, if answers your query, please click the "Accept as Solution"
Message 4 of 7
Halasur
in reply to: harald_goetz

Hi Pradeep / Harald,

I too tried the same, importing 3D mesh from Ansa to Moldflow unable to launch analysis.

Instead of re-meshing I created a tetra element in moldflow and changed the property by moving all the elements to that collector. It  works.  

Thanks 

Aravind Halasur

Message 5 of 7
harald_goetz
in reply to: Halasur

Halasur,

it's like hacking moldflow. Cool.

Thanks for that!

Message 6 of 7
xusho
in reply to: mppkumar

Moldflow 3D solvers has 2 extra requirements:

1. No tetras have all nodes on surface.

2. No internal tetra edges with 2 nodes on surface.

ref.PNG

In this image, we can see 2 tetras: ABCD and EFGH.

Tetra ABCD has 4 nodes on surface.

Tetra EFGH has edge GH, both node G and H are on surface.

With Moldflow 3D mesher, those tetras will not be created. But third party meshers may generate those types of tetras.

After import a 3D mesh from third party, we need to do a minor refinement to avoid those tetras.

When you see "Refine mesh" on stuty panel, just double click it, uncheck a checkbox: Use surface mesh matching.

ref2.PNG

Then Moldflow mesher will check the mesh for those 2 types of tetras.

If found, it will split tetras.

If not found, it will not change the mesh, but will add a flag to indicate this mesh is OK for analysis. Then "Refine mesh" will become "3D Mesh" and ticked. You will be able to run analysis.

Shoudong Xu
Autodesk Moldflow Meshing
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com
Message 7 of 7
mppkumar
in reply to: xusho

Hello Shoudong Xu

we did tried with exporting the file as *.udm from third part software and imported as *.udm into Moldflow; Got thru "Refine mesh" flag... 

While doing 3D mesh checking it showed the areas at edges are not having enough elements thru thickness... though we have 6 layers of elements in that region.

Now, i got the reason for it thru your reply... Thank you for your post

Thanks

M P Pradeep Kumar

Thanks
M P Pradeep Kumar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report