Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Meshing gets stuck at 76 %

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
maxmarautodesk
685 Views, 5 Replies

3D Meshing gets stuck at 76 %

Dear community,

my usual meshing strategy is as follows:

1. Assign mesh densities

2. Create Dual Domain mesh

3. Fix any errors and high aspect ratios of Dual Domain mesh manually

4. Create 3D mesh

5. Fix any errors and high aspect ratios of 3D mesh by using the Mesh Repair Wizard

My problem is that I always get stuck at step 4 recently. The meshing commences, the log shows no errors or warnings. But it gets stuck at 76 %. The load on the single cores (8 physical + 8 virtual) of my machine goes up and down, but the overall CPU load stays constantly at 6 % and the RAM does hardly change either. The WIndows Task Manager tells me, Moldflow is running properly. That is true, I can still use the GUI normally without any problems. However, I do not know, if the meshing is crashed or if the software is still busy with the meshing. I would assume, it is crashed as the CPU load is really low.

In my opinion, this is clearly something Autodesk has to work on. I think some kind of indicator, if the mesher is still running or stopped working should be available. If the meshing only uses 6 % of the CPU power than the effeciency of the meshing must be improved.

First, I thought the problem is caused by the quite detailed Dual Domain mesh that I have from step 3. I reduced the number of triangles significantly and the same thing happens though. I do not think that the meshing really takes so long, as it is running already since more than 24 h and jumps to the 76 % right after the 3D meshing is started.

Any suggestions or ideas where the problem comes from and how to solve it?

Background information about the study I am working on:

CPU: XEON E5-2687W v2 3.4 GHz

RAM: 64 GB

Moldflow: Synergy/Insight 2015
Study type: Thermoplastics Overmolding (2k molding)

Analysis type: Fill+Pack+Fill+Pack+Warp

Number of triangles: 280 000

The meshing of the first shot only in a seperate study worked without problems.

Looking forward to your answers and best regards,

Max

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
xusho
in reply to: maxmarautodesk

Hi Max,

What is the "Minimum number of element layers", 6 as default? Did you change to a higher value?

Shoudong

Moldflow meshing

Shoudong Xu
Autodesk Moldflow Meshing
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 6
maxmarautodesk
in reply to: xusho

Hi Shoudong,

I have changed the number of elements through thickness to 10.

Best regards,
Max

Message 4 of 6
xusho

Hi Max,

You can try this work around:

Find the geometry you want to mesh, eg. CAD body.

Change analysis sequence to Cool(FEM).

Change its property to Mold Block(3D). Mesh it by Clicking "Create 3D Mold Mesh". The algorithm for mold meshing is different.

After meshing, change tetra property back as desired.

Change analysis sequence back.

Shoudong Xu

Shoudong Xu
Autodesk Moldflow Meshing
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com
Message 5 of 6
madhukeshwart
in reply to: xusho

It happens rarely, when 

1. CAD model is problem with lot surface errors.

2. Model might be very large and during units convertion ....scaled to 1000 times.

3. Using with 'Advancing Front mesher', instead of the try with 'Legacy mesher'

4. Meshing assembly with many parts, try one by one then assemble all in single study.

5. System resource might be insuffient.

6. try with 6 to 8 layers is quite enough, instead of 10 layers

Check for above all. It should solve.

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hello Max,

1. Could you please tell me how many traingular elements u got in DD..?

2. Once you corrected the DD mesh try to do Global merge with 0mm to renumbering the nodes, this problem may happens due to larger node numbers while converting DD to 3D which may take longer time to convert.

3. If this problem persists Select all DD elements change thier property to Part Surface (Midplane), again select all converted elements & change the properties to Part Surface (Dual Domain) then convert the same into 3D.

This way u can try to resolve this, for a trial, try converting the DD to 3D mesh with minimal no.of layers (4-6layers) to check. if mesh is converting, then u proceed with 8-10layers.

Thank you

Regards

Sabarinathan. S

Moldflow Analyst

L&T Technology Services

Chennai, India.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report