Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d meshing for symmetry parts

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
kulandaivel_palanisamy
510 Views, 2 Replies

3d meshing for symmetry parts

Dear Users,

If it is a symmetry part (ex. square plate), is it possible to do 3D meshing considering 1 quarter of the part?

If i mesh 1 quarter of the part in dual-domain and reflect it to form the complete part to generate 3D mesh, i observe imbalance in the part filling. Please do share your knowledge If any of the users experinced this.

Thanks

JK

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

JK,

You can do that, but remember you have to do a global merge or manually merge the nodes at the "common" faces to ensure that the connectivity is only one.

A few things to be careful about (my own experience):

1. Meshing in Dual Domain and then mirroring and then converting to 3d will not yield the same results as reflecting 3d Mesh.

2. Even if only one of the nodes is merged on each of the "common" surface the connectivity diagnostic will show connected and thus it can be misleading.

3. The results (especially 3D) seem a little buggy because at the "common" face i see a gap (translucent gap) in many of the results when i activate the single contour type results.

For e.g.: when i look at the 3d temperature plot @ any temp i see a thin translucent gap at the common face (even though it is merged). Something feels like the merge happened but those elements at the common faces still have mold/melt interface at their boundaries.

I hope i did not confuse the issue. Any one else, any experiences like mine.

Ni****

Message 3 of 3

Hi Ni****,

Thanks for your reply

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report