cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create copy -Delete - Cancel dialog window more intelligent

Create copy -Delete - Cancel dialog window more intelligent

This is a very simple one - in fact so simple that for years I couldn't understand why it's still unchanged... But to the point:

How many times - when running a full analysis sequence (like Cool(FEM)+Fill+Pack+Warp) on a large, time-consuming model - did you realize some packing profile changes are needed only when Insight was only doing the Filling stage (just an example, and probably not the most extreme one)? OK, so - knowing the packing profile has had no influnce whatsoever on the results so far (with the Filling stage at some 75%) - you introduced them in the Process Settings, and while presented with the routine "Create copy", "Delete" or "Cancel" dialog window you just clicked on "Delete" in the hope it will just "breake" the sequence (so that after Flow is compeleted, you will need to "Continue Analysis" so that Warp iis started)?

While in reality, Insight indeed deleted all the Filling progress so far, so that you had to start from scratch (well not exactly - Cool results would stay intact in this particular scenario; not much of a consolation)...

So PLEASE, do make that  "Create copy", "Delete" or "Cancel" dialog window more intelligent! And I mean it in 2 ways:

- be more informative, and inform you which results would actually be deleted after you presses that button

- be smarter, i.e. not delete results that would have been perfectly valid if left at their current stage at the moment while carrying on...

Thanks.

1 Comment
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a comment to my own idea, whose purpose is to illustrate the need of more intelligent handling of Process Settings changes WHILE the analysis sequence is running so - unless obviously necessary - any small "fine-tuning" of Settings doesn't require starting from scratch.

One such example is running Fill+Pack, and - while seeing the Packing Profile is not going to yield intended results - changing it (typically by modifications to the total packing time, decay offset, etc.). Of course doing this will inevitably bring in the "Delete - Make a copy - Cancel" prompt... And this is natural, but why not implement a possibility of the analysis restarting from the V/P switchover rather than beginning of Fill?

Yeah, I'm aware of restart files option, but this shouldn't be necessary in this situation - after all, the Packing Profile has no influence on how the part fills from the cycle begininng up to the V/P switchover point so it should be automatic. If for some reasons unknown to me this is not so obvious as it looks, than OK - let's use the restart file functionality - but please make it a separate and obvious option somewhere on the Flow page of the Process Settings wizard, like: "write a restart file at V/P switchover", and make this ON by default. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report