cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create 'All' Option for Intermediate Results (Results Output Settings)

Create 'All' Option for Intermediate Results (Results Output Settings)

I would like an 'All' option for Intermediate Results in the Fill+Pack solver parameters.  I find it frustrating that solver timesteps are solved but not outputted for results.  As it stands, you either need to:

• Use the 'Write at constant intervals' option, which will miss timesteps for fine timestepping.
  • Use the 'Write at specific times' option, but this requires us to know when all timesteps will occur before running the analysis, or to assume a very small time interval.

I understand that computing resources will be tied up for results output and file storage, but this option would still be of use to me.

4 Comments
raalteh
Community Manager

I think the idea is valid, but as you indicated, showing all results has consequences; solver speed, data transfer, disk space, and memory consumption in post processing, post processing speed. etc. So this  could come at a substantial cost.

An alternative solution would want to make you aware of could be that you change the default solver behavior for your process to output for instance 50 time steps in filling, packing and cooling and save that as your default solver parameter behavior. Going forward, you would then by default follow your behavior.

raalteh
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

mtessier
Enthusiast

Hi Hanno,

Thanks for the comment.

Just to clarify, using 50 time steps in filling is not always enough for me.  50 outputted time steps mean you get results for approximately 2% volume fill increments.  If you want to zoom in on things like air traps, you sometimes need tighter time steps to visualize the results.

An increase in the maximum output during filling to 100-300 time steps would probably eliminate this issue, or an 'All' option would default to the solver settings.  The current workaround requires the user to use the write at specific times option, guessing at a small enough time step.  It's really just a small annoyance.

h.rudolf
Contributor

Hi,

great idea!

However I have some proposals to make it better.

I have posted this idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/moldflow-ideastation/calculate-what-happened-inbetween/idi-p/5846485

I think these two could be combined effectively.

The already calculated intermediate results would have an option to be calculated to make them visible, and if still not fine enough, calculate the intermediate and make visible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report