Moldflow Adviser Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Adviser Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Adviser topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOE to minimize the mass ??????

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Louis-PhilippeLePoul2125
753 Views, 4 Replies

DOE to minimize the mass ??????

One of the most important Quality factor among all is the part weight.

I don't understand why the goal of the Moldflow DOE is to minimize the mass !!!!!!! and why can't we change that to maximize??

The minimum mass is given by functionnal and structural constraints (and very basic plastic part design rules).

The guys down in the workshop do a good job when they reach the maximum weight with acceptable internal constraints for a given geometry.

I don't understand why the goal of the Moldflow DOE is to minimize the mass !!!!!!

Any idea ??

...and why can't we change that to maximize??

Thanks

LPLP

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi Louis,

Why dont you post in Insight project? Optimization is itself mean that Optimal value of mass at which product can fuction well under life cycle stresses/ fatigue.

Regards,
Mayur
Message 3 of 5

Hi

I confirm I don't understand (accept) this concept of "minimizing the weight".
The goal of Moldflow Insight DOE is to optimize the process on the basis of a given geometry.
The process is optimized when the cavity is perfectly filled and packed, and the best judge for that is to increase packing and holding levels and holding time, and gate diameter in such a way that the weight doesn't change anymore (+/- 0.5% change is acceptable! ).
For a part having aspect constraints, maximum weight target means no sink marks.
For a more "technical" part having structural demands, maximum weight target means no voids, no porosities, good weld lines, homogeneous shrinkage and lots of more things which make a plastic part "good".

Moldflow says in DOE builder-Quality criteria-Total mass : " The lower the mass, the higher the quality". I do not agree.
Please Mister Moldflow, let me the possibility to change the "goal" from "minimize" to" maximize"
Let me know if this could change something in the results. If not, ..., I can forget that.

Thank you
Message 4 of 5

Hi Luis-Philippe,

Within Midplane and Dual Domain, you can actually change the thickness, which would be a geometric change (see below)

doe_thickness.JPG

However, beyond this point your point is valid; and certainly the comment on the dialogue stating that the lower the weight, the higher the quality, is certainly not necessarily true, and, as you pointed out in case gemoetric changes are not permitted, not correct. This should be corrected and we should allow the objecteve to be changed to maximize.

Hanno

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Message 5 of 5
raalteh
in reply to: raalteh

Hi Luis Philippe,

If you contact me per email (hanno.van.raalte@autodesk.com) I can pobably help you enabling a 'mazimize' condition, instead of the minimize.

Hanno

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report