Moldflow Adviser Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Adviser Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Adviser topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Custom Material

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
PWatts10
1606 Views, 1 Reply

Creating a Custom Material

I am trying to add a new thermoplastic material for the first time. I've requested a *.udb file from the manufacturer, but they were unable (and unaware of the possible need) to provide one. I anticipate more difficulty when asking for the extensive rheological testing needed to customize a material.

How common is it to add new materials? Can a simple TDS be used to generate a material?

Regards,

PWatts

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
nordhb
in reply to: PWatts10

Hi,
adding material is quite common, I would say.

Some material suppliers has udb-files to send that are not in official material database.

The data from a TDS is generally too generic, and no coefficients for viscosity or PVT models normally available.
And more data such as transition temperature, thermal properties (maybe available as single point) etc.

Note:
Keep in mind that not using the product specified material data, but equivalent material data, will give you results to analyze.
The equivalent material data will affects result accuracy compared to an original data set, but to which extent?
It might be good enough, but for best accuracy for the simulation, the material to be used should have measured data and fitted for analysis.

When there is no material data available in the material database the typical ways are:

- If you have measured data, raw data, of material you can contact datafittingmoldflow@autodesk.com and get measured data fitted and an udb-file for analysis in return. (material supplier might have measured data of this material?)
Autodesk Moldflow Plastics Labs information at: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=13151393&siteID=123112&linkID=13030537 

- Contact the material supplier and ask for an udb-file for the material (which you have tried, but no success)

- Contact the material supplier and ask for an equivalent udb-file for the material, or guidance to use an equivalent material data from the material database. (some can point to colleagues material that can be used as an equivalent material)

- Try to find an equivalent material in material database based on TDS.
Here you could use MFR as a search entry. Not all materials have this data in material database, as provided by material supplier. It might help though to find Moldflow Viscosity Index (VI). This is the viscosity at 1000 1/s shear rate, shown at a temperature, VI(290)0064 means at 1000 1/s, at 290C, the viscosity is 64 Pa.s. You can then use VI to search materials, and compare viscosity.
When you find a material with similar viscosity, you should also compare TDS data with the material properties.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report