Moldflow Adviser Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Adviser Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Adviser topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMI Synergy, and AMA, on a laptop's external monitor

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
piotr.wozniacki
662 Views, 6 Replies

AMI Synergy, and AMA, on a laptop's external monitor

Hi ALL,

This is a very strange problem, and I'd be very grateful if you confirm or deny it: on my newest and greatest Dell Precision M6600 laptop with the Quadro 4000M graphics card, whenever I open AMA (or AMI Synergy) on the external monitor, I cannot open a study by clicking (or double-clicking, no matter how I have it set up in Preferences). The only way to open a study is

- either to drag and drop a study into a window like this Forum webpage,

-or by moving the entire GUI back to my laptop's own screen opening the project normally, and only then dragging the window back to the external monitor

This is annoying when working on a project, but even more of a deal breaker during presentations!

Just what the...?

Piotr

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I've just noticed that results cannot be displayed either - clicking just doesn't work in external displays!

Message 3 of 7
nordhb
in reply to: piotr.wozniacki

Hi,
assume latest graphics driver is installed.
As Nvidia Quadro 4000M not available for test, this was tested on a laptop with Nvidia Quadro FX 770M, driver version 185.85.
The cable connected from laptop to external screen directly, no docking station.

After each graphics display change, restarted Moldflow Adviser 2012 and open project, study, display result.

1- Single monitor
Adviser interface works as expected - can open study and display results on external screen.
It works to open study and display result, and in laptop screen display mode of using "External display only" and "LCD + External display".

2- Dual monitors
Changed display properties settings to "Extend my Windows desktop on to this monitor"
Adviser interface works as expected - can open study and display results on external screen.

Then in display properties settings moved screen 2, to be left of screen 1 : the behaviour you describe can be repeated.
(Screen 1: still primary monitor)

Solution: in display properties settings: screen 2, to be right of screen 1 (default setup)
Start, or restart, Adviser after change of display properties settings
This makes it work as expected.
or
run in Single monitor mode, not using "Extend my Windows desktop on to this monitor" and select
"External display only" or "LCD + External display".

Does this solve the issue for you?

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 4 of 7
piotr.wozniacki
in reply to: nordhb

Thanks Bernt,

It's good to know I'm not hallucinating 🙂

Indeed, my observations so far are coherent with yours - as I usually work with 2 monitors (including the laptop's internal LCD), even though it so happens my external monitor is positioned to the left, I made it the Primary monitor and all is well.

However, the problem becomes more complicated when using the Optimus technology, which enables the Precision laptop to drive 2 (or even 3) external monitors, in addition to its own display. Then, on a monitor that is connected to one of the digital outputs (DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort), all 3D elements of the mesh (like Beams or Tetras) apper black - unless I move the Lighting slider fully to the left in Preferences, in which case 3D models aren't rendered legiblly. But this is probably the Optimus thing...

Finally, even with a simple scenario of the internal display plus VGA projector, it can still be a problem. This is most often used at presentaitons, so of course I cannot make the projector screen my Primary desktop...

Anyway: is it classified as a bug n AMA/Synergy, and will it be addressed in future updates/service packs?

Thanks,

Piotr

Message 5 of 7
nordhb

Hi,
the advice in this case is to have the VGA projector as screen 2.
Using the default settings in display properties settings: screen 1 to the left, and primary for laptop and screen 2, to the right,
the VGA projector will be screen 2.
Then using "LCD + External display", and change display properties settings to "Extend my Windows desktop on to this monitor"
Adviser interface works as expected - can open study and display results on external screen, the VGA projector.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 6 of 7
piotr.wozniacki
in reply to: nordhb

Dear Berndt,

Sorry for using this forum for communicating with you, but I have tried to send you a message via Siebel portal, and am unsure whether it reached you (a basic question re: Asset ID reuired at filing cases).

Please come back to me on this matter; Regards

Piotr

Message 7 of 7
nordhb

Hi Piotr,
I have been notifed of your request.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report