Moldflow Adviser Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Adviser Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Adviser topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding a filler to an existing material profile

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sbrreed
934 Views, 5 Replies

adding a filler to an existing material profile

How do I go about adding filler information to an existing material? When I go to the filler tab on the existing material the data fields are greyed out.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
AnaMariaMarin
in reply to: sbrreed

Hi,

That means that you are accessing the main database. To be able to modify any material you need to create first a material which you can simply make a copy of the main material and then you will be able to edit it. You need to be very careful on what data you change. The fact that you add the filler information manually will not reflect the effects that the filler may have on the properties of the material. Meaning if the material was not tested with the filler itself you need to be cautious when reviewing the analysis results.

How to create a database and how to edit such database are topics listed in the online help.

Regards,

Ana Maria Marin

Independent Tech instructor & writer

Message 3 of 6
sbrreed

Thanks for your reply. I ended up figuring out how to add the filler information after posting the question but I think I then ran into the problem you mentioned. I have all the necessary data for the filler (just the fields within the "filler" window), but when I run the simulation with different percentages of filler I get the exact same results every time. How do I get around this problem? What's the point of having an option to add a filler if the simulator doesn't incorporate the filler data into the simulation?

Thanks very much!

Message 4 of 6
AnaMariaMarin

Hello,

All the material data can be modified if you are accessing it the personalized database. My guess is that the material data can be modified to allow those that have complete characterization information to enter it appropriately. Suggestion, why don't you contact the resin supplier and ask them for a material file that will work for what you are looking for?

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Ana Maria

Message 5 of 6
nordhb

Hi,
the material viscosity is characterized (measured) with or without out filler. The raw data is datafitted to get viscosity coefficients for analysis. So it is a unique data set.
Adding or changing filler percent by editing material filler data will not change the viscosity behaviour or the viscosity coefficents for the material data.
The material with different filler content has to be measured and datafitted to get viscosity coeffcients for analysis.
Further, change of filler content will change thermal, mechanical and PVT properties too - to which extent depend on material family and filler type and filler content - meaning those properties might need to be considered to be tested as well.

A workaround could be to look for similar grade within material family and filler content.

Or as Ana Maria suggests:
why don't you contact the resin supplier and ask them for a material file that will work for what you are looking for?

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 6 of 6
sbrreed
in reply to: nordhb

Thank you for your suggestions! I understand more, now, why it wasn't working.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report