Announcements
The Simulation Mechanical Idea Board has been closed down and placed in read-only mode following a recent discontinuation announcement. Please see our supporting FAQ for more information.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Element Definition showing what is being applied

Element Definition showing what is being applied

Hello,

I would like to be able to see what elements I am using without having to open the Element Definition box.

Example:

example idea SimMech.png

Thanks

3 Comments
Sualp.Ozel
Community Manager
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Please imagine the following 3 scenarios:

1) You have a single part (plate element) that is made up of 100 surfaces, and you selected the plate thickness to be based on surface number instead of applying a uniform thickness to the entire part

2) You have a part (beam element) that is made up of 100 layers and each layer defines a unique cross section.

3) You have a part (beam element), where you have manually entered the sectional properties (area, moment of inertia etc.)

In such cases what would be your expectation from the software in terms of the text displayed in the "element definition field

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Mr. Sualp.Ozel,

Here are my comments on what I would like to see in those situations::

"1) You have a single part (plate element) that is made up of 100 surfaces, and you selected the plate thickness to be based on surface number instead of applying a uniform thickness to the entire part"

In this case I would like to be able to expand another tree in the Element Definition, and see each of the surfaces thicknesses by surface.

"2) You have a part (beam element) that is made up of 100 layers and each layer defines a unique cross section."

I would like the same, a expanding Element Definition tree that allows me to quickly consult which element those layers are set.

"3) You have a part (beam element), where you have manually entered the sectional properties (area, moment of inertia etc.)"

In this case I think it would be better to show User Defined, and if the user comes to this case, then he checks the properties he imputted as we do currently.

Thank you for your interest in my opinion, I will gladly share it with the Autodesk community when requested.

Best regards

Yossef Sami El Didi

philip.s
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report