Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulate flexible part

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Dracoholikus
343 Views, 4 Replies

Simulate flexible part

I am trying to simulate the deflection on this flexible part but i keep failing to do so.

AlgFrame_2018-04-05_01-50-07.png

As you can see, the part has cuts that allow it to act like a "tweezers".

Also i need to know the force needed to open it, as it's opening is limited by another part that houses the "tweezers".

I'm used to some FEA on Autodesk Inventor, but not this kind of thing. So please, where can i start looking for a solution for this problem? Tutorials? Books ? Anywhere?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: Dracoholikus

Hi @Dracoholikus

I think you should start by describing what happens when "it fails" since failure covers a wide range of possibilities (meshing, the analysis not running because of problems with the Job Manager, the analysis starts to run but it fails to converge, and so on).

I am guessing from your image that the "tweezer" is being pushed in the -Z direction, and the contact with the fixed part causes it to spread open.

• What prevents the tweezers from rotating in the analysis? (Chances are the rotation is not relevant, so allowing it to rotate is an unnecessary complication.)
  • How do you know load to apply? (I think you should be using a prescribe displacement. Chances are you know how far the tweezer needs to move but have no idea what force is required. The prescribe displacement will solve both problems.)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 5
Dracoholikus
in reply to: John_Holtz

Understood, i'll post a more detailed analysis of what fails. Also going try to research more on what you've said

Message 4 of 5
Dracoholikus

So, i'm trying to get working based on some reading that i did. But it keeps failing all the time, when i click check model it gives no errors and also give me a simulation, but the part does not move like in this image:

AlgFrame_2018-04-06_00-56-46.png

The tiny blue arrows inside the part are increasing over time.

But when i try to click Run Simulation, it fails everytime:

AlgFrame_2018-04-06_00-53-54.png

I feel like i'm walking in circles, can anyone take a look ?

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks for sharing this guidelines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report