Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Mech 2017 error with win 10 latest update

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
RoSChneider
1034 Views, 10 Replies

Sim Mech 2017 error with win 10 latest update

Guys,

ALARM! ALARM!

We updated all our PCs with WIN 10 anniversary plus the updates available through Sunday Sep 25. On running Simulation Mechanical Rel 2017 (with SP1) on Monday we were confronted with the following message (insufficient storage) when trying to edit surface contact parameters:

InsufficientMemory.JPG

The program subsequently crashes.

This happens on all PCs.

We have just undone the WIN 10 updates to the previous build and Sim Mech runs perfectly.

Please look into this urgently and give us a fix quick-quick!

Regards

Ron_e4e
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
RoSChneider
in reply to: RoSChneider

Guys,

It appears that WIN Update KB3176936 is the culprit.

On two PCs we were able to go back to the previous build (Win Version 1511). On the third KB3176936 was already installed. It appears to be a so-called base update and cannot be uninstalled, even if you do a system restore.

So .... beware!

Ron

Ron_e4e
Message 3 of 11

Hi @RoSChneider,

Thanks for the report of the problem. I'm still running Windows 7 on my machines, but I'll see if I can find a system or VM with Windows 10 Anniversary to test this on. Doing some research of that specific update, KB3176936, it appears users are reporting it causing problems on the Microsoft forums for a large number of problems. User report everything from software that stop working as expected to audio problems. There were some instructions posted on Microsoft's forums on how to block automatic updates.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 4 of 11
John_Holtz

To everyone that is using Win 10 (especially @RoSChneider, @mec, @jack),

Can you reply to this post and let us know the following:

1. Are you able to edit the  General Contact Settings in a linear static stress or MES analysis, or do you get the memory error? (Right-click on "General Contact Settings" in the browser and choose "Edit Settings")
  2. How many GDI Objects are being used? (See instructions given below)

Thank you.

How many GDI Objects are being used?

• Start the Task Manager. (Ctrl+Shift+Esc, or right-click on Task Bar and choose "Start Task Manager)
  • Go to the "Processes" tab.
  • From the "View" menu, choose "Select Columns".
  • Check the box for "GDI Objects" and click OK.
  • How many GDI objects are being used by AlgFrame.exe (Autodesk Simulation)?

(Sorry, these instructions are for Win  7. I hope that you can follow similar steps for Win 10 Smiley Sad)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

I have same issue, I monitored the GDI objects, only reached about 627, even when the 'out of memory' box would pop up and crash the program. 

I did try increasing the GDI object quota from 10,000 to 20,000, 30,000 etc but this made no difference.

Kind regards,

Jack

Message 6 of 11
RoSChneider
in reply to: Anonymous

Guys,

I have just installed the WIN 10 update „Fix“ provided by Microsoft (KB3194496), unfortunately with no change to the error in Sim Mechanical 2017.

GDI objects are not shown by the WIN 10 task manager. I would need to use a third party tool which I am hesitant to do.

1. Linear static stress

After hitting “General Contact Settings” the out-of-memory error appears here too. After hitting OK a few times the “Edit Settings” appears and one can change the parameters. The changes are however ignored. Repeated access to the “Edit Settings” shows identical behavior, i.e. the out-of-memory message appears, the parameters remain at default values.

1. MES

After hitting “General Contact Settings” the out-of-memory error appears. After hitting OK a few times Sim Mech crashes.

Regards

Ron

Ron_e4e
Message 7 of 11
Royce_adsk

I have noticed this with a few other products at Autodesk. Could you downgrade to a previous windows 10 version and try again to see if that resolve it?

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 8 of 11
RoSChneider
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Royce,

Yes, as mentioned earlier, downgrading to Win 10 Version 1511 resolves the issue for SIM Mech rel 2017. Unfortunately one of our workstations won't downgrade, so we have no alternative but to use SIM Mech rel 2016 on this machine.

Ron

Ron_e4e
Message 9 of 11
nabil1mam

Hey John!

Trying to do an analysis for a client and it looks like I have the same issue. Im in Simulation 2017, and Im on windows 1607 build with everything updated and all autodesk updates I can find. i'm stuck in 1607 as I can't downgrade.

Here is some information that is hopefully helpful.

to find the GDI count in the windows 10 1607 build you need to go to the DETAILS tab, right click in the column headers and you can select which you want.

Running an MES with N-L Mats:

When I open General Contact Settings I get 1 "out of memory" pup ups and the  GDI count jumps from 637 to 646. The unit for User defined is "%U%22" (not sure if that is correct)

When I open the surface settings I get 8 "out of memory" popups and the GDI count gets up to 658 from 637 and then crashes

Running a static stress with Linear Mats:

When I open General Contact Settings i get 2 "out of memory" popups and the GDI count jumps from 637 to 650, the menu opens and I can continue to work.

When I click on the surface settings I get 4 "out of memory" popups and the GDI count gets up to 651 from 637, but the menu pops up and i can work

Hopefully this is helpful information!

Message 10 of 11
John_Holtz
in reply to: nabil1mam

According to one website, you can "roll back" to an earlier version of Win 10, but you only have 10 days to do so! Maybe this is why Ron is not able to uninstall the Win 10 "Anniversary" update.

If anyone is within the grace period, you can use the information on this site to remove the update: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-uninstall-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Then you will need to prevent Windows from trying to update to the anniversary version again. See https://www.cnet.com/how-to/stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-your-pc/

Between Microsoft and Autodesk, I'm sure that a fix will be coming soon.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

Message 11 of 11
John_Holtz
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hello to everyone watching this thread,

Simulation Mechanical 2017.1.1 Hot Fix has been released to address this problem. Please use the Autodesk Desktop App (from the Windows "Start" button) to access the update.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report