Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8
RansiDevendra6239
481 Views, 7 Replies

Draw function

Hello everyone,
Can someone please explain me how to use the following function?
Draw - scale or copy
I noticed that “scale type and factor” functions (Uniform.., perpendicular …, Along line..) under “scale” tab is grey. How do I activate these functions? Is there any tutorial that gives details of how to use these functions in sketching?
Thank you.
Best regards,
Ransi

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Help does work with this command, however, I couldn't find an explanation as to why what you mentioned would be greyed out. What I found by experiment is that if you choose construction lines then the scale types are greyed out but if you choose lines they are available. It still works with construction objects but it looks like your only choice is uniform scaling. Not sure why the developers made this distinction.

Message 3 of 8

Hi rlkillian,
Thank you for the information. However, I still could not get it to work. Hope someone from Autodesk will clarify this anomaly?
Best regards,
Ransi

Message 4 of 8

Sorry it didn't work. Maybe you can upload a screencast recording to show us what you are trying to do.

Message 5 of 8

Hi Ransi,

There is not too much to clarify: it only has the capability to scale construction objects uniformly (in 3 directions). [Edit] Now that I think about it, there are probably limits to how arcs, circles, and splines can be scaled in 1 or 2 directions, and maybe those were never programmed.

So depending on what you are doing, one work around is to convert the construction objects to regular objects, scale them, and convert them back to construction objects. (You convert them by selecting the objects, right-click, Edit Attributes, and change the checkbox for "Construction Object".) This will work for lines. Circles and arcs would need to be scaled individually to get the desired effect of scaling in 1 or 2 directions.

As rlkillian indicated, attach a screencast or images of what you are trying to build, and someone may be able to provide other ideas.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 6 of 8

Hi Everyone,
Can someone help me to construct the following?
I am trying to construct the cylindrical dumbbell that is shown in Figure 1. The dimensions are given in figure 2. Is it possible to generate the dumbbell with brick elements using the 2D end mesh (Figure 3) with Autodesk simulation draw functions?
Thank you.
Best regards
Ransi

Message 7 of 8

Hi Ransi,

You do not want to create the end mesh (figure 3) and try to extrude it to create the dumbbell. You want to create the profile shown in figure 2 (half of the profile, actually) and revolve that around the Z axis.

There are multiple ways to do it. For example,

1. Create a mesh of the outside (the lines on the +X side of the Z axis in Figure 2) and revolve the outside lines to make the outside surface. This is how the ball is created in the example exercise Ball in a Box with Body to Body Radiation Model
  2. Once you have an enclosed surface, you can generate the interior solid mesh by right-clicking on the part and choosing "Create Solid Mesh".

Another way to do it would as follows:

1. Create a mesh of the 2D cross-section (the portion on the +X side of the Z axis in Figure 2). Since your shape is simple, you just need to create "Mesh > Structured Mesh > Between 2 Objects" in three regions to completely fill the cross section. If the shape were more complex, you could use the "Mesh > Mesh > Generate 2D Mesh" to fill the cross-section, similar to the example Water-Cooled Wall with Radiation, Convection, and Temperature Model
  2. Once the cross-section is meshed, revolve the mesh around the Z axis to create the solid mesh.

Once you know how to do it, it will take the same time to create the model as it did to read this reply.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 8 of 8

Hi John,
Thank you for the advise.
Best regards,Ransi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report