Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Mechanical Material Model - Thermal Expansion - Mean or Instantaneous

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
na.arno
324 Views, 3 Replies

Autodesk Mechanical Material Model - Thermal Expansion - Mean or Instantaneous

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the material model used in Autodesk Simulation Mechanical.

I am trying to model the stress caused by thermal expansion. I am using a custom defined material.

In the datasheet of the material i want to use i have two options;

- instantaneous coefficient of thermal expansion × 10−6 (mm/ mm/°C)

- mean coefficient of thermal expansion × 10−6 (mm/mm/°C) in going from 20°C to indicated temperature.

Can anyone tell me which one the program uses? I tried searching this and found nothing unfortunately.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,

Arno

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: na.arno

Hi arno. Welcome to the Sim Mech forum.

What type of analysis are you performing?

• I am certain that linear stress is using the mean value. All it knows is the stress-free reference temperature and the final temperature.
  • Nonlinear stress is probably using the mean value also, but I do not know for sure. I suggest that you do a test to confirm if this is true.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
na.arno
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John,

Thank you for reply.

The analysis I am performing is a Non-Linear analysis (MES or Static Stress with Non-Linear material model).

Good idea, i was thinking about drawing a 2D square (100x100mm or so) and then simply adding some temperatures to it to see the outcome.

2D or 3D should not make a difference for this small experiment i guess.

Just a thought; maybe you could add this to the Autodesk Simulation Mechanical documentation? I guess there will be more users with these kind of questions.

Kind Regards 

Arno

Message 4 of 4
na.arno
in reply to: na.arno

To all,

I just ran a quick test with a 2D Simulation.

I modeled a square of 100mm by 100mm constraint(single direction) at two edges perpendicular to each other and simulated a temperature rise from

20 degrees C to 600 degrees C. I set the stress free reference temperature to 20 degrees C (as in the standard i am using).

I checked that the Von Mises stresses were near zero, so the square could expand freely in all directions without constraints.

The results of the simulation were within 99.4% of the tabulated values in the material properties standard, so John was right.

Autodesk Mechanical uses the Mean Coefficient of Thermal Expansion for the Non-Linear analysis.

Arno

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report