Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows wants to configure Inventor

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
stevenaking
1760 Views, 10 Replies

Windows wants to configure Inventor

Lately, whenever I am running Sim Mech, I get these pop-ups that say "Please wait while Windows configures Autodesk Inventor 2015".

The first few times I got this, I let it run, thinking it would do it's thing and then it would be done. But, It keeps coming back. So, now I just hit cancel, so I don't have to wait for it. 

But, I get this 20 or 40 times a day.

What does it want that it's not getting?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi Steve,

Does the popup say "Please wait while Windows configures Inventor" or does it say "Simulation Mechanical" ? I can walk you through the steps to fix the issue if it says "Simulation Mechanical". Do you have a support subscription? If so, can you please direct message me your express service id and I will get a case set up. The process requires making a manual modification to the system's registry so its a bit tricky.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 3 of 11

It says "Inventor". But, I get it while running Mechanical.

Message 4 of 11
stevenaking
in reply to: stevenaking

Curiously, I do not get this while running Inventor.

Message 5 of 11

Hi Steve,

Are you running on an administrative account? Can you try running the program with elevate permissions by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as Admin".

Message 6 of 11

No change. 

I tried running as administrator. I let Windows do whatever it was trying to do twice, but I still get the pop-ups.

Next I tried logging into another account (one with administrator proveleges). I opened a small model in Simulation, and ran an analysis. No pop-ups this time.

I retirned to my own account, Opened Simulation, and the pop-ups are still there.

Message 7 of 11

Hi Steve,

Can you please use Reigstry Editor (regedit.exe) to look at the following registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\0BE1E073FE407084B86554265447378B. There should be one or several items within this location, please attach a screenshot of what you see.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Message 8 of 11

Message 9 of 11

I'm guessing MAD is your Administrative account? Can you try changing the location of all of those keys to "C:\ADSK_TEMP\dummy.txt". Next create the "C:\ADSK_TEMP" directory and make sure that your account has read/write access to this directory. Create a blank text document in that directory named "dummy.txt". Open Simulation Mechanical once again, if this process worked you should expect the warning message to appear just once.

Message 10 of 11

Ok, that seem to have solved the problem. Thank you.

Now, what do you think actually happened here?

Message 11 of 11

A piece of code is looking for a file that is in a location owned by the administrator, because the administrator is typically the user that installs the software. When a regular user account tries to access this file they are denied due to permissions. The development team is aware of the incident and they helped create the workflow to resolve it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report