Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why pin joint (truss element) collapsed?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ccz90
506 Views, 2 Replies

Why pin joint (truss element) collapsed?

I use pin joint setting in my numerical model. But the solver program always shows lots of warning messages like:

*** Warning : Truss element collapsed!

Numerical exception may occur

Element number=51

Original element length =11.87

Current element length=NaN

then the time step is reduced again and again, and the model seems difficult to converge.

Why and how to avoid the problems? Thanks!

CCZ90

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: ccz90

It sounds like a numerical problem in the MES simulation, so I suggest trying a smaller time step just before this event occurs. (online wiki Help) I am hoping that a different calculation path will avoid the problem. (NaN stands for "Not a Number", so something is occurring mathematically.)

Otherwise,

1. What material model are you using for the trusses?
  2. What is the stiffness of the trusses? (Cross-sectional area and modulus of elasticity)
  3. What step does this occur on?
  4. What is the force in the truss before it collapses? ("Results Contours > Other Results > Element Forces > Axial Force")
  5. What element type is the truss connected to?

Message 3 of 3
ccz90
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

• What material model are you using for the trusses?

Linear

• What is the stiffness of the trusses? (Cross-sectional area and modulus of elasticity)

Cross-sectional area from 7~300 mm^2 , E= the defacut material parameters from autodesk material library

• What step does this occur on?

Changeful. It maybe at the bigining or the process of the calculation.

• What is the force in the truss before it collapses? ("Results Contours > Other Results > Element Forces > Axial Force")

In some cases, the forcees are very small, 7 ~ -4.9N

• What element type is the truss connected to?

Brick (isotropic elastic steel)

I have used a smaller time step with bigining of 1~0.1 ms, and the solver might reduce the time step more. The

warning messages still display  randomly.

Ccz90

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report