Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What factors influence von Mises precision the most?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
stefan.menin
594 Views, 1 Reply

What factors influence von Mises precision the most?

I was working on simulating some parts in Algor 2011 SP1, but when I check the von Mises Precision, the values seem high, around .32, usually located near where the maximum stresses occur.

What factors are most influential in causing the precision number to increase (get worse)? Is it mesh size? Shape?

What can I do to drive this number down and get a more reliable result?

Elements don't seem to resemble the ideal cube near the locations where these stresses and precision numbers occur.  It is at a radiused inside edge.  However, there may be other factors causing the precision number to increase.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
S.LI
in reply to: stefan.menin

Generally, finer mesh without bad distortion is helpful.

If MES is what you used, the following points might be helpful:

1.) using 2nd integration instead of 3rd order if the brick is WITHOUT mid-side nodes.

2.) if plastic deformation is much larger than elastic one, using updated Lagrangian, and selective reduced integration method in element definition dialog.

Good luck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report