Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Displacement issue

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
B_A_T
444 Views, 4 Replies

Weird Displacement issue

Hi,

i have a model that performs as it should, however I am unable to visual the displacement. The contour plots work just fine but when I go to show the displacement the model does not move. I have even changed the scale factor all the way up to 100% and I still get zero movement. The displacements are not very large with a max displacement of 0.09" so the model is acting as it should I just have no way to see how it moves. Has anyone experienced this? any idea how to fix it? It is a rather large 3D Model but solves in about an hour, so it is not extremely large.

Any ideas?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
B_A_T
in reply to: B_A_T

well I think I found the issue....but no idea how to fix it....there seems to be a bunch of nodes that have very large displacement, but they do not seem to be attached to any elements. Any way to delete these nodes? or any idea why they are there?

Message 3 of 5
John_Holtz

Hi BAT,

Instead of trying to use the percentage to show the displacement, change to using an absolute value and enter a scale factor. 0.09 inches times X will make the displacement large enough to see in a model of size Y.

Otherwise, an image or description of the model would be helpful. For example,

• Analysis type?
  • Overall size of the model?
  • Where is the model located in space? Near (0,0,0)? Or at some coordinate way out in space?
  • Element types? Additional nodes are "added" to the model when it contains beam elements, 1D and 3D sprint supports, and maybe some other types of elements. But those nodes should be fixed and the software should ignore them when computing the displacement scale.
  • Types of contact in the model?

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 4 of 5
B_A_T
in reply to: John_Holtz

Yeah i tried both, actual and percentage...

I found I was able to select some nodes away from the model that when they were selected I could see them displacing when i animated the model. So these nodes that were created are not joined to anything within the model. But i have no way to select them(outside of results viewer) so no way to delete them.

Analysis type is Static Stress Linear ,

When you say size do you mean number of elements?  there are 771,000 elements and 532,000 Nodes

the model  is located near 0,0,0

Element type is Brick, so Hex and Tet, there are no springs or beams in the model

The types of contact are Bonded and Sliding with no seperation

If there was only a way to hide those nodes or delete them....because they are what is showing the displacement

Message 5 of 5
B_A_T

I got this to work by remeshing it with a slightly smaller mesh size...not really sure how I got it to act that way...but at least it is working now

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report