Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Spring/damper parameters

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
9msl1
504 Views, 4 Replies

Variable Spring/damper parameters

Hello

Is it possible to define a spring constant or damping constant that can follow a load curve for non-linear analysis such as mechancial event simulation?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: 9msl1

Spring, yes. A "General contact element" has 2 spring constants in tension and 2 in compression. You can also use a truss element with the material model set to "Curve". This type of truss element has input for a stress strain curve which is equivalent to a force displacement curve = spring constant. So you can define as many intervals as desired.

Damping, no.

Message 3 of 5
david.cross

john

how can this be applied to cad geometery, IE a model of a wire rope isolator

thanks

david

Message 4 of 5
9msl1
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hello 

Thanks for your advice!

Btw. I have another issue that you may be able to help me with.  My computer crashed halfway through a 60h simulation and now I only have half the results.

Is there anyway to get multiphysics to "pick up where it left off."  I'd hate to waste 3 days reduing the analysis...

Thanks very much.  It is very appreciated

Message 5 of 5
AstroJohnPE

In case you did not see the response in one of the other threads, the answer is yes: you can restart a crashed MES analysis, and it will restart at the last completed time step.

For your other question about creating a nonlinear spring from a CAD part, if you meant that you want to assign a CAD part to truss or general contact type of elements, that cannot be done. I cannot think of any other material model that would let you use a CAD model (brick elements) and make it behave like a nonlinear spring.

You will need to figure a way to replace the CAD part with a single line that you draw in Sim Mechanical. (Or it can be multiple lines, whatever it takes to simulate the CAD part.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report