Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

variable load in bearing

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
nonamepicked
915 Views, 8 Replies

variable load in bearing

Hi,

my aim is a distributed (variable) load in a bearing. I haven't found a way to create such a load.

Do I need local coordinate systems ?

What's the right equation ?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
S.LI
in reply to: nonamepicked

In Help, please search "variable loads". You might find more interesting information there.

• A variable load is a load that is applied over an area. A variable load can be applied in any direction specified by a vector or can be applied normal to the surface.
  • A function can be defined to control the magnitude of the load at different locations on the surface.
  • The variable load will be converted into equivalent forces and applied to the element nodes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 9
nonamepicked
in reply to: S.LI

Hi, thanks for the reply but the Algor help didn't provide the information I need. The example there works for a linear increasing force. I'm not sure how to apply a variable load to a cylindrical bearing. I created a local coordinate system (spherical) and applied it to this surface. But what's the right equation ? 400.000 (N) x sin(phi) ? 400.000 N is the total force, but it is distributed like shown in the attachement. So the shown area equals the 400.000 N.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Is the equation not available in the handbook? I am guessing that the variable surface load should be set to "Normal to surface", but the equation itself, I'm not sure. Is it a Hertzian contact pressure? I don't think it's any kind of sinus function.

Message 5 of 9
nonamepicked

I've attached an image of the simplified bearing. You can see the global coord and the local coord (hand drawn).

The model is symmetrical so there's only the half of it.

The total force of 400 kN should work in global -z. The force is distributed over the half of the surface (there is a little cut to separate the surface). In local z-direction (bearing axis) the load is constant. In local x- and y.direction the load depends on the angle. At the edge of the small cut the force is 'zero' and for R = (-local x) it's a maximum. The applied load is a pressure because I apply the load to a surface.

Any ideas how to express this problem in an equation ?

Parameters:

Fmax=400 kN in local -x or global -z

bearing radius= 112,5 mm

bearing width=160 mm

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hi,

Sorry, I don't know enough tribology to answer your question. Hopefully someone else does.

/Björn

Message 7 of 9
nonamepicked
in reply to: Anonymous

To avoid misunderstandings...

It has nothing to do with tribology - simply: distributed load in a bearing.

Message 8 of 9
S.LI

Here is my thought about the equation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 9 of 9
nonamepicked

Thanks,

it works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report