Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unrealistic Displacement

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
RyanAndrewHolt
531 Views, 1 Reply

Unrealistic Displacement

Hi,

Im conducting linear stress analysis for some very basic seal analysis(Assuming Linear behaviour) and for some of my models the displacement is unrealistic.  I have attached my inventor measurement of the displacement in the y-direction which is unrealisitic.  The deformation and animation looks realistic its just the values that I dont understand.  The example model is 8.926mm in the y-direction and the y-direction displacement is 12.4532mm.  How can the displacement be this large with the contrainsts in place and the deformation doesnt look like is that large in proportion to the model.

Also can anyone explain what the scale is along the bottom of simulation?

I have also completed analysis on a larger seal( 5 seals) stack which produced more reasonable values of 0.683mm when is dimension along the y axis was 14.962 mm.

Can anyone help.

Ryan

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi Ryan,

My guess is that you have a case of "garbage in, garbage out". Hopefuly you entered a wrong number somewhere, whether it is material property or a force, etc. You might want to click the "Report" tab and look through all of the input. Also check the log file from the Report tab to confirm there were no warnings or errors.

For the two seal problem, The image does not show where the maximum displacement occurs: there is no red color shown. Perhaps if you figure out where that occurs, you can understand what the problem is.

Keep in mind that the results of a linear stress analysis are almost always exaggerated. It would be hard to see 0.6 mm displacement on a 15 mm part if viewed at a 1 to 1 scale. So the results can be scaled to any value which can make it look realistic or unrealistic.

If you can't find the problem, search for forum for the post about creating and posting an archive, and then attach the archive to your reply. Someone will hopefully look at it and find the issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums