Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unmatched mesh

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
556 Views, 4 Replies

Unmatched mesh

Hi,

I have the issue that I cannot create an unmatched mesh between two parts (see screenshot). The smaller one should have 4-5 elements through its thickness. If their meshes are matching this would yield way too high mesh density in the bigger part.

I'm unsing Simulation Mechnical 2015 and it is a Static Stress with Linear Material Models scenario. I intend to use the smart 'Fine bonded to coarse mesh' feature to create the bonded pair.

Do you have any idea?

Thank you in advance,

Attila

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Attila,

I do not remember if the mesher adjusts the mesh based on the selection of the smart bonding or not, so the first thing to try is to set the smart bonding option and remesh the model.

If that does not make a difference, then you should be able to define the contact between the parts (or between the surfaces) as "Free", mesh the model, and then change the contact type to bonded. Note that there is an option somewhere under the "Mesh > 3D Mesh Settings > Options" to match the mesh or not based on the type of contact set. That option may have something to do with your experience, too.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hi John,

Thanks. I tried it and unfortunately it still does not work. I created a simple model to play around with (see attachments).

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Attila

Message 4 of 5
Andrew.Sartorelli
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Attila,

In the latest release, Simulation Mechanical 2015 R1, there is the option to individually remesh parts in instances where an unmatched mesh is not desired or generating a match mesh prevents the model from successfully meshing. To do so you can use the following steps:

1. Suppress the smaller part in your model
  2. Use "Generate 3D Mesh" on the Mesh tab of the ribbon. This will generate a mesh for the large part
  3. Suppress the large part and unsuppress the small part
  4. Use "Generate 3D Mesh" on the Mesh tab of the ribbon. This will generate a mesh for the small part
  5. Unsuppress the large part
  6. Enable smart bonding

You can read more about this procedure in the documenation for the Sim Mech 2015 R1 Release.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 5 of 5

With the objective of complement Andrew answer you can watch the last video of sim Tv that is about mesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BIk2GhD5T4&list=UU4r-k65jeLknBBoVTtSj7Nw

Wilmer Ariza
Researcher Control and SI with AI for autonomous underwater vehicles
PhD student(Australian Maritime College-University of Tasmania)
Master of engineering (Advance Manufacturing Technology- Swinburne University of Technology)
Mechatronic Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report