Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
521 Views, 8 Replies

Trouble with Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013

Hi all,

I'm using Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013. I recall successfully using it last spring (spring 2014). Now I'm trying to use it again but I get weird errors when selecting the material.

Here is the error :

Error No.: 3015

Error Description: 'Name' isn't an index in this table. Look in the Indexes collection of the TableDef object to determine the valid index names.

Error Source: DAO.Recordset

Line Number: 160

I can't get the software to do anything.

I tried rebooting.

I un-installed and reinstalled the software but it didn't help.

Below is a screen grab showing the error.

Any idea what is going on ?

Thanks.

Philippe

bug_autodesk_multyiphysics2013.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Philippe,

One problem that I see is that the Element Definition is not filled in or has some type of problem. (That's the line in the browser just above the Material.) So until the software knows what the material model is -- which is one of the input in the Element Definition -- it would not be able to show you a list of valid materials, etc.

Instead of specifying the element type and element definition, and material first, you may want to mesh the model. (Meshing the model will set the element type and element definition to the default values.)

If this is not the solution, the next thing to check would be the folder where the model is stored. Make sure that the entire path, from the drive letter all the way down to model, does not contain any characters other than a-z, numbers, etc. A foreign character may cause a problem, but I do not know that for sure.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hi John,

Thanks for your comments.

I checked the path to my model and found there is no accentuated character in it. The most exotic character is the underscore but I would be very surprised if it would cause a problem.

I noticed the analysis type is in red font like the element definition too. I was simply unable to to fix that. When it works well (because it used to work well), the analysis type is never red. Components elements are red though. I first set the element type then then "element type" AND "definition" turn black. Then I set the material and it turns black.

I did some more tests yesterday. I found a weird work around. I'm opening a parasolid file generated by solid works(I tried with a step file but got the same problem). I found that, when opening the parasolid file, if I select the static/linear analysis then it works much better. In the static/linear analysis, I set all the parameters. Then I ask to change the type of analysis to thermal/permanent because that's what I want to do. The software pops a window proposing to copy the scenario, I click yes and then everything is fine and I can run my model. Odd...

I'm surprised to find that I might be the first one to run into such a problem...

I've installed the software on another computer. I'll see if I get the same problem on a different computer.

Philippe

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Hi all,

I tried my model on the other computer. I got problems there too (see screen grab below). When setting the material, I have an error message that I will translate for you:

"Modification of a brick element but isotrope/orthotrope has not been specified".

I didn't modified the brick element, I just selected it. When I selected the element, the "element type" and "element definition" went from red to black. When I tried to apply a meterial, I got the error message.

bug_autodesk_multyiphysics2013_01.PNG

Then I clicked ok and the same error box opened again. Clicked ok again and then I got the Material window but it is empty.

bug_autodesk_multyiphysics2013_02.PNG

Clicking ok on the material element will only get the error message : "Modification of a brick element but isotrope/orthotrope has not been specified". I have to click cancel.

I'm running out of time now... I'll stick to my work around for now.

Thanks for your help.

Philippe

Message 5 of 9
zhuangs

Hi Philippe,

In the second figure after you click "Edit Material", you can click "Modify properties", and input all the material properties needed.

-Shoubing

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: zhuangs

Hi Shoubing,

Clicking "Edit material" doesn't help, When I do so I get the same error message : "Modification of a brick element but isotrope/orthotrope has not been specified"

The software is somehow broken. The solution won't be simple. My guess is that my Windows 7 is French and it creates some weird bugs (my Windows 7 is French on both computer). But proving that would be long and I don't think I will do it.

Philippe

Message 7 of 9
AstroJohnPE

Hi Philippe,

The problem with "Modification of a brick element but isotropic/orthotropic has not been specified" is an indication that the Element Definition has not been fully set. It's probably some type of bug that the Element Definition turns black even though it is not fully set.

The solution to this is simple: edit the Element Definition and click OK. You should then be able to enter the material properties.

You may not be the first to encounter the problem, just the first to report it 🙂 But search this discussion group for "French" to see if you get any hits.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hi John,

I looked at the element definition. It looked just fine. It was by default isotropic, I tried orthotropic, but I still had the same error message when I try to set the material. I went back and forth from isotropic to orthotropic many times but it didn't help. I clicked the "default" button but that didn't help neither.

Philippe

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Hi John,

I found the problem. The latest service pack (SP2) was not installed. I installed it and it fixed the problem. Now I can open a parasolid file, select the thermal model and apply the material directly.

I'm not sure I fully understand what happened...

I had SP2 installed but it didn't work so I reinstalled the software thus loosing SP2. By doing so, I went from "error 3015" (see my very first post above) to "isotropic/orthotropic" error message. I don't know where the error 3015 came from and I can't reproduce it so I suppose re-installing the software fixed this problem but "produce" the "new" problem because the re-installation overwrote the SP2. I'll mark this thread as solved ! 🙂

Thanks.

Philippe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report