Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transient heat transfer has issues accessing temp files

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DanGreisen9213
360 Views, 2 Replies

Transient heat transfer has issues accessing temp files

i am working on a 2-d axi-symmetric transient heat transfer problem.

I keep getting the following error.

forrtl: severe (9): permission to access file denied, unit 12, file C:\Users\Dan\Document\AlphaII Rev1.ds_data\2\ds.t12

It appears something is preventing the code from accessing the temp files.

I have tried different solvers, memory allocations, cpu usage.....

Any ideas

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
abakharev
in reply to: DanGreisen9213

It sometimes happened in 2012 - the transient solver creates and deletes a lot of temporary files very fastly (at each timestep). Sometimes the OS does not cope with deleting the files before they are rewritten and we get the message you have described.

I believe the problem is  adressed in 2013. Try to download the 2013 beta or wait for the release version of 2013 (should be available in a few days). The heat transferanalysis  in 2013 is also much faster, so the upgarde is worth it anyway. If the problem persists in 2013, please let me know and I will try to make a fix for you.

If you want to stick to 2012, then delete all the temporary files  (.*t??) manually and rerun the analysis (keeping the finger crossed) - the problem is an intermitten one. Try not to run anything heavy on the file system in parallel with the heat transfer  solver.

Message 3 of 3
bigjoe
in reply to: DanGreisen9213

I know this post is a little dated, but maybe you never figured out what the problem is.

You cannot copy and rename an Inventor file, modify it, then run ASM on it.  You will still get the same error even in 2013, Win7/8 32/64.

If you want to test variations on a primary design, you need to derive a disassociated part from your original file in inventor first.

If you are working on an assembly, simply create a new assembly for every variant you wish to compare, and place your original assembly there, disassociating it.

It would be nice if Inventor checked for this when opening a file and prompted us about it.

It is possible that ASM somehow tags the .ipt/.iam file.  It took me a while to figure this out because ASM still creates a new folder under the new name and such.  Perhaps if you copied the files before ever running ASM on it would be a workaround as well.  (I don't recommend this)  Copying inventor files is never a good idea.  Get out of this bad habit, because this isn't the first thing I've run into that has this issue.  I've run into issues with copied files causing a video rendering to crash, design accelerator components failing, inventor crashing randomly, etc.

If this didn't apply in your case, at least now you won't copy my mistakes! (pun intended)

Joe Simmons

Virginia Tech

Student of Mechanical Engineering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report