Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal Grease

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
498 Views, 2 Replies

Thermal Grease

Hello All,

I have been teaching myself thermal modeling, but I seem to have hit a roadblock. So far, I have been modeling perfect contact between parts, but this is not true in real life. So, to make more accurate models and to achieve more accurate results, I would like to include thermal grease, a layer approximately .00025 inches thick. However, this is impractical to mesh, and I haven't been able to find a good method of simulating thermal grease between parts. Is there some boundary condition that I can apply between parts so that heat flows between them at a limited rate (since thermal grease has nowhere near the thermal conductivity of aluminum)?

Thanks for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

You want to create a "Surface Contact" between the two parts, and then define the settings. Please see "Help > Autodesk Simulation > Mesh Models > Mesh Overview > Contact Pairs" and the pages that follow it.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks, that did the trick!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report