Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Total Reaction Force

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Lonelytown
866 Views, 4 Replies

The Total Reaction Force

Hello, everyone

I am working on an static linear stress model. I want to know the total reaction force on the boundary condition, this should be a very common engineering problem. However, the instructions from documentations are not straightforward enough for me. Can anyone tell me how to get the total reation force from the boundary condtions to the structure?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
S.LI
in reply to: Lonelytown

You need to do a little bit of work to get the total value.

1.) show reaction force in result tab;

2.) select all nodes on the boundary that you are interested in;

3.) inquire results and select "sum" at Summary.Capture.PNG

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 5
Lonelytown

Thank you. I did get the reaction force by doing so. But, still, I failed to get the reaction moment using the same mathod. Is there something I need to do?

Message 4 of 5
S.LI

In one of my previous posts, I explained how reaction moments work in ASIM.

Reaction moments in ASIM are only provided on rotational DOFs, such as beam, shell elements.

If you do want to sum all reaction moments on these rotational DOFS, I'll be surprised if it doesn't work.

Currently, ASIM could not calculate reaction moments from reaction forces by timing them with distances.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 5 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: S.LI

So to elaborate on S.Li's suggestion, you need to perform the calculation of the moment about the point or axis of interest: M = r cross F where r and F are vectors. Use the "Save Values" button on the Inquire Results window (shown in earlier post) to output the reaction forces and coordinates of the nodes, import that file into a spreadsheet, and do the above calculation.

The command "Draw > Design > Centroid Creator" in the FEA Editor will help you find the centroid of a surface, in case that is where you want the moment.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report