Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2
ramses061
634 Views, 1 Reply

Surface load

Hi everybody,

I'm using Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013 and doing a MES analysis with nonlinear materials. I have a human head model and i try to make an impact analysis. I modeled a shaft and i applied a force to it. Then it hit the head i noticed the stresses. My question is the surface force. My force is dynamic. its maximum value is 7000 N. I selected the shaft's surface, right clicked, selected surface load and wrote the magnitude section "1", wrote the directions and selected the load curve. The program applied a force to all nodes of the surface. I counted 53 nodes. My question is the value of each force. Does the program apply the load curve to all nodes seperately like 7000x53=371000 N or it divide the force to each nodes like 7000/53 = 132,075 N ?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
John_Holtz
in reply to: ramses061

Hello,

When you selected a surface and applied a force (or when you edit the force), note that the title bar indicates 1 surface. The load magnitude you specify is applied to the 1 surface. If you have multiple surfaces selected, the entered magnitude is applied to each surface.

The load is shown at each node on the surface so that you can see where the load is distributed. The number of nodes has no significance on the total load. (Obviously, if you had selected vertices instead of surfaces, the entered force would be applied to each node.)

When in doubt, a simple test model will confirm how the input is handled. Or in this case, doing an "Analysis > Check Model" will show that the load is shown as a pressure at the center of each element, and a hand calculation of the force divided by the area should agree with the pressure.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report