Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Knitting Problems

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ajcoote
356 Views, 2 Replies

Surface Knitting Problems

Hi guys,

I'm looking at simulating air flow in a cylinder, flowing past a piston. I'm requried to knit the surfaces of the model I created in Inventor when I import it into Multiphysics but when I do this, the cylinder geometry is ruined. My model is quite small and thin walled and there is not a lot of clearance between the cylinder and piston. Could these be reasons why surface knitting messes up my geometry, and if so, is there a way to fix this problem, i.e. surface knitting tolerances? I'm quite new to Multiphysics so any help would be great.

Cheers.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: ajcoote

Hi,

You did not mention why you must use surface knitting in Sim Multiphysics. If you are trying it so that you can use the "Fluid Generation" command, then the solution is to create the fluid volume in Inventor. So, you will create an oversized fluid volume and "subtract" the solid parts from the fluid.

Let us know how that works.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
ajcoote
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thanks for the tip John , I think I will be better off using the Simulation CFD package however as the piston motion will be easier to Simulate. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report