Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface bearing load error

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
AlanGrantz7150
811 Views, 2 Replies

Surface bearing load error

I have found an error in the surface bearing load tool. Attached are .ach files of two simple brackets with through holes. The brackets are approximately 3 in tall x 1 in wide x 0.3 in thick.  A 1 in dia hole is present. One end is fixed. A bearing surface load is applied to the surface in the +Y, or +Z direction. The model works fine until I core out the web for mass reduction. The models are identical (except for the cored-out region). They were made in SolidWorks and exported as step files. When the web has a hollow section, the bearing load is incorrectly applied to the opposite side of the hole. It is behaving as though it were a cylindrical surface and the load is being applied to the OD instead of the ID. No matter what I try, I can not get the load to be applied to the correct  side of the hole. If I remove the hollow center section it works fine.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi Alan,

It does appear that the bearng load is ending up on the wrong surface based on your images. (Note that you did not attach the archive, so we only have the images to work with.) Is the surface of the hole one surface, or is it multiple surfaces? If multiple surfaces, did you select all of the surfaces inside the hole?

By the way, that might be a work around. Split the surface of the hole so that you can select just the surface where you want the load, and apply the bearing load to there.

Message 3 of 3

The hole ID is a single surface. I tried splitting the surface, and adding the load to the appropriate side, but that did not work either. I did find a work around. When I create the model in SolidWorks, I  also create a duplicate surface. If I import the SolidWorks file directly into Simulation, this added surface comes in as a second part. I then mesh this second part as plate elements (very thin), and apply a surface bearing load to it (only after meshing). This works. I am unable to attach ach files in this forum (I get an error message saying "the file does not have a valid extension for an attachment") so I sent you the ach files in a reply to your email.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report