Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stability of a structure

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
tim
Enthusiast
311 Views, 0 Replies

Stability of a structure

Hi,

I'm about to build a model in ASM to help me examine the stability of a rubber tyred stacker. The stacker consists of a 24m long elevator attached to a 4 wheeled mobile platform.  The elevator can be raised or lowered at any angle.

I'm not interested in stresses or deflections in the structure, just the stability of the whole stacker with regard to overturning.  The model could be considered as a rigid body without a problem.

Can someone give me a heads up on the basic approach here?  I've never modeled this type of problem before.

I am imagining a block representing the 4 wheeled platform with 4 constraints to represent the 4 wheels.  The constraints would be given appropriate dof to allow the wheels to leave the ground.

A long rectangular tube could represent the 24m long elevator.  It could be pivoted at the end where it attaches to the 4 wheeled platform.

I would be changing the inclination of the whole model with respect to the ground until the wheels lift off representing rollover.

I could also enter various lateral or longitudinal accelerations representing the stacker doing various manouvres.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report