Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spreadsheet pasting - Suggestion

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
305 Views, 1 Reply

Spreadsheet pasting - Suggestion

Hi,

Not a question so much as a suggestion; it would be great if all the input boxes in Algor supported direct pasting from a spreadsheet.  For instance, I have to add K nodes to 26 beam elements and it's taking me quite a while because I have to switch between excel and algor to cut and paste the x,y,z location.  If I could format a spreadsheet for this and just copy x, y and z in one go it would be great.  I've noticed a similar thing with inputing load time histories as well; you can only paste one cell at a time.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi N,

Your suggestion does have merit, and it would make things easier for many input.

Perhaps you have an unusual beam model, but I am surprised that you have 26 runs that need 26 unique k-nodes. This implies that axis 2 for these 26 runs is not parallel to any of the global planes (XY, YZ, XZ). For example, let's imagine a ladder with 24 rungs, propped against the wall at a 30 degree angle. (The two side rails make runs 25 and 26. All runs are made of some type of channel.) If the wall is parallel to the YZ plane (with Z axis pointing up), then axis 2 for the side rails could be parallel to the XZ plane. The K node can be placed at an "infinite" distance in the X direction which can be accomplished automatically by putting the lines on surface 3. For the 24 rungs, I imaigine that they have axis 2 pointed at a 30 degree angle from the Z axis. One k-node anywhere in the plane formed by the rungs will orient axis 2 for all of the rungs in a consistent direction. (For some figures that describes this better, please see the Help page "Autodesk Algor Simulation > Setting Up and Performing the Analysis > Setting Up Part 1 > Linear > Element Types and Parameters > Beam Elements", paragraph "Beam Element Orientation".)

What type of analysis are you performing, and what is the load that you are entering the time history? Most of the dialogs that use a grid to enter time vs multiplier allow you to load in a CSV file. Perhaps not as direct as reading it directly from the spreadsheet, but that would require additional input that also makes it more complicated (which worksheet to read, which range, etc.)

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I hope it helps.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report