Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation Mechanical/Multiphysics on Autodesk Labs

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
scott.sheppard
1604 Views, 17 Replies

Simulation Mechanical/Multiphysics on Autodesk Labs

There is a new technology preview on Labs.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/scout/overview/

You can try it and post your feedback to this thread.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
SaMurgie
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Thanx, Scott

Some key features of this Tech Preview are:

- a Drop Test Wizard

- parametric design studies

- improved MES impact planes

- multi-interval time zones for MES

- GPU support

I encourage you all to try this Tech Preview and let us know what you think of these features.  Your feedback is valued and will help drive development and release decisions on these features.

Note:  Scout requires a non-trial ASIM Mech 2012 installation.

Message 3 of 18
scudelari
in reply to: SaMurgie

Hi!

Fantastic improvement! I have some questions though:

1. Considering that the parametric simulation takes into consideration the parameters from inventor, could you help me making this work? 
  2. When you talk about GPU support, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that it can now use the GPU to run the operations? Which operations can be optimized (Meshing, Simulation)? What video cards are supported? Or is this optimization just for the display of the 3D models?

Thanks a lot for the information, and I've seen the video of the parametric simulation.

My honest recognition! You guys are making an amazing job!

Message 4 of 18
scudelari
in reply to: scudelari

Gentlements,

I instaleed and my custom materials library got currupted;

Index out of bounds, 80.

I can send the corrupted library if it would be of any use.

Sincerely.

Message 5 of 18
SaMurgie
in reply to: scudelari

Hi Scudelari,

1.  Of course, we are glad that you ar trying this. 

a. Obviously, import a model from Inventor

b. Currently this only works with Linear Stress

c. Set-up your LSS simulation as you normally would including all boundary condiations, materials, etc.

d. Once set-up and runnable go to the Setup tab and click on the next to last button (Parametric Study (Tech Preview))

e. The Inventor parameters will be displayed on the first screen of the PDS wizard, select those of interest, click Next

f.  In the next screen, you will add the various values that you wish to be run for each selected parameters; these values are entered into the Value column and should be separated with semicolons

g. Do not click Next just yet; first click on the Run button

h. Once the various runs have completed, then click on Next to review the results

i.  Double click on any model that you want to review and another MechSim session will start with that model loaded

2.  GPU support is for the matrix solution only at this time (except for whatever happens by default with graphics).  Meshing is not off-loaded to the GPU at this time.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sam

Message 6 of 18
SaMurgie

Hi

I just sent you a private message.  Please send your material library per the message.

Thanx.

Sam

Message 7 of 18
scott.sheppard

Since the technology preview stops operating on March 1, I have retired it from the Autodesk Labs site.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 18

There is a new 2013-based technology preview on Labs.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/scout/

You can try it and post your feedback to this thread. We are back in business.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 18

I posted an update to the 2013-based technology preview today.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/scout/ 

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

MoldFlow solver supports OpenCL platform of AMD, I think.  How about AMG (GPGPU) solver of Autodesk Simulation Mechanical Tech Preview? If possible, we plan benchmark GPGPU computing performance between  NVIDA and AMD.

Message 11 of 18
SaMurgie

The MFAMG solver in Scout does support OpenCL.  But we have not tested Scout on AMD GPU hardware.

If you (or anyone else) has AMD GPU hardware to test this, please post if it works or not.  Thanx.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks Sam, We will plan to benchmark next week. I will post the results!

Message 13 of 18
SaMurgie
in reply to: Anonymous

Great!  Thank you!!

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

We compared NVIDIA and AMD cards for linear static problem by using AMG-MF solver.  Two log files and two JPG image files are attached. 

When we performed the analysis by NVIDA card, it seems like that the analysis can be done. 

However, we found both messages " **** No enough GPU memory" and "**** Not using GPU" in its log file ("nvidia_ds.log").  However, we can get appropriate results (pls. see "nvidia_capture.JPG").

The other hand, we performed same bench mark problem by using AMD card (ATI FireProV8800).  Please see a log file ("fire_prods.log"). It seems like that the calculation by FirePro V8800 was normally finished, however, we cannot get results (pls. see " fire_procapture.JPG").

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Image files are attached hereby.

Message 16 of 18
SaMurgie

Thank you for the information.

It appears that the nvidia case did not actually use the GPU due to a lack of GPU memory.  There is a list of supported GPU cards in the Help.  Make sure that you a) have a supported card, and b) the GPU has sufficient memory to solve the size model that you want to solve.

Also, the AMD case failed which is not surprising as we have not tested this solver for this platform.  Of course, both you and I were hoping that it would work since we are using CUDA...

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

Thank you for your reply.

Our team carefully selected NVIDA GPU card and its CUDA version, etc. 

Certainly, our problem which is prepared for this comparison study has about 1M meshes.  The conventional AMG solver of the Autodesk Simulation Mechanical can easily solve the testing problem and its solving speed is pretty good!

We will  try to keep survey for GPU computing and its application for structural analyses.

Best regards,
Akihiro Matsuda

Message 18 of 18
scott.sheppard

The technology preview for 2013 has ended. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report