Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation Mechanical 2015 Job Manager is SLOW

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
FARoberts
1951 Views, 16 Replies

Simulation Mechanical 2015 Job Manager is SLOW

I just tried running a slightly complicated beam model through the new 2015 simulation, and am having issues with the job manager.  It has been running for twenty minutes, without solving.  For a beam model!  I am used to about 20 seconds tops for this model on 2014.

When I look at Windows Task Manager, I see a CloudExec module taking up computer capacity, and the model is stuck at 80%.  Any ideas?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Fully agree.  Exactly same with me.  Stuck at 80%.  Maybe 2-3 times slower.

Message 3 of 17
TommyBreaux
in reply to: FARoberts

I don't believe it is stuck at 80%.  I am pretty sure that 80% of the compilation is done and the remaining 20% is the actual solving of the matrix however many time steps are required..  I have run a few models with 2015.  I am having  different issues but this isn't one of them.  It will say 80% until the model completes.  Compare the percentage complete in the new anlysis window with what the manager is saying.  You will see that you may have 2% of the time steps completed but the manager is saying 80%.  Check it later and you will see that you have 95% of the time steps complete but the manager will still show 80% complete.

Now does anyone have any idea how to stop a model without control atl deleteing and stopping the CloudExec-Win64.exe which is the new name for srunx.exe.  I would like to restart the analysis that I am working on later tonight.

Message 4 of 17
FARoberts
in reply to: TommyBreaux

That may be the case, but comparing 2015 to 2014, it is exceedingly slow, and at times seemed to be caught in an infinite loop. I have re-registered 2014 as my main simulation tool for now, until 2015 is working properly.
Message 5 of 17

One important thing to note is that with the 2015 release the solid meshing and analysis are shown as one process whereas in older releases solid meshing was shown seperately.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 6 of 17
Gyrus1
in reply to: FARoberts

I have just changed over to 2015 and an analysis that ran fine last week in 2014 has now become  quite a problem. The analysis keeps stalling (didn't in 2014) and I have to continually restart the analysis. Also, as I cannot find a way of easily stopping the analysis as mentioned in these posts earlier. So far, a non linear mateial / contact / MES analysis that previously ran in 3 hours has so far taken up  3 days of my time. Thinking of switching back to 2014 just to get the work done.

Message 7 of 17
TommyBreaux
in reply to: Gyrus1

Gyrus,

I have almost reached that same conclusion for the same reason. It is a shame. The new 2015 has the potential to allow for a lot more productivity.

Tommy
Sent from my HTC
Message 8 of 17
nmt
Advocate
in reply to: TommyBreaux

I am sorry to say but I also have to agee, I have encountered the same problems, simulations that previously ran wihtout problems now take considerably longer time.

This is most obvious when running eg non-linear contact simulations.

For now on it is back to 2014 until the problems are solved.

Message 9 of 17
andrewdroth
in reply to: nmt

There is something fundementaly wrong with this new feature.

We have very simple models that are just hangin up and not completing.

Is there a way to not use job manager?

Also when I go to reboot my computer it says job manager is still running and needs to close even though Simulation is closed.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

Message 10 of 17

I do not understand. Simulation Mechanical 2015 not working correctly? While better use Simulation Mechanical 2014?

Message 11 of 17

I went back to 2014 until now.  However, I have now installed 2015 SP1.  I have just tried 2015 SP1 with a surface model with a surface contact that took about 5 minutes in 2014.  Seems to work fine.

Message 12 of 17

So What does the CloudExec module do? According to the job manager I am 10% complete and have been for over 2 hours. Thank goodness for Windows task manager which shows s2srad.exe taking 15% CPU and piling up memory. CloudExec is taking abou 10% cpu. Now approaching 3 hours and still 10% complete with an empty Log! I am tempted to cancel and reboot back into Win 7 and use 2014. I am using the latest SP with the Nastran enhancements which I have yet to find any use for (it doesn't seem very capable).

Message 13 of 17

So 4 hours of running steady state heat transfer and with nothing of any use in the log, no warnings just the allocated memory stated I get the message 'Failed'! Thanks very much!

Message 14 of 17

Hi Richard,

The 10% you see is not actually 10% complete solving the model like in 2014, rather its 10% of the way through the entire process, which includes solid meshing and other pre-processing tasks. One important thing to realize is these completion percentages are independent of time, the time it takes to complete up to 70% might only take 5 minutes while the 80% step might take an hour, this 80% step is the actual solving stage.

With your model, I would recommend running a "Check Model" to see if the model will solid mesh.

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 15 of 17

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info. At least we have Windows task manager to show that something is happening. In this case the meshing is fine. It is body to body radiation that is causing the long solve time with a 'Failed' message at the end and no further information in the log. The job runs without any problems if body to body radiation is limited to fewer parts. I am now running this job in 2014. If I can't get it to solve I will send it to tech support.

Regards

Richard

Message 16 of 17

I´m very upset and dissapointed. I bought a new computer ( i7) with 16 gb ram, and a 2 gb graphics card because I knew doing the simulations of a chassis for my senior project would be hard. No matters what I do the simulation doesn't work. It worked once and because I wanted to improve it it crashed. Now I have lots of troubles and delay and can't finish writing my paper. 

Tags (4)
Message 17 of 17
zhuangs
in reply to: andrewdroth

I did like this: "Check Model " first and then run the model from command line.  For MES, we can use "arun4 ds -run -silent" or "arun4 ds -run".  Using "-silent" will print the solve process to the log file, otherwise, the solve process will be printed to the command window.

-Shoubing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report