Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation Mechanica Not Working Properly

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
luisito8m
1454 Views, 16 Replies

Simulation Mechanica Not Working Properly

I have recently installed Simulation Mechanica on my computer, however, when I get the results, the elements plotted do not appear in a scale of colors (max-min displacement/stress/etc). The elements appear as in the editor, like if nothing had happened. However, when move to the next tab "report", the picture of the result displays all the colors along all elements.

I've searched online and I have found solutions in this forum, I have updated my graphics driver to the latest version and also have tried to get rid of "hardware acceleration" under the tool menu, however, this last part is not possible for me since the option is checked but greyed out.

I am using a macbook air 2013, I have windows 7 installed through bootcamp. 

The ilogical thing, is that it was working fine a week ago, I deleted a couple of Autodesk programs and the problem started, at that point I assumed that I could have messed something that I couldn't fixed, so I installed Windows 7 again & Simulation Mechanica again, sadly, the problem didn't go away.

Thanks in advance!

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
KubliJ
in reply to: luisito8m

Hello,

I can think of a few possibilites that you are seeing, can you send a screen shot showing the issue?

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 3 of 17
luisito8m
in reply to: KubliJ

Wrong.pngNode4Displacement.png

James,

Thanks for replying.

The first picture is Simulation Mechanica, there is no gamma of colors that correlate the Leyend about displacement magnitude. The second picture is Algor (FEMPRO), with the gamma of colors correctly displaced (different computer).

I have contacted customer support, however, they are not able to help me since this is free educational software.

I have also contacted the manufacturer of my computer and performed a hardware test, the graphics card/chip/processor works fine.

Thanks for all your help!

Luis

Message 4 of 17
KubliJ

As a test, can you right click on part one in the results environment and verify that show results is checked?

James Kubli, P.E.

Message 5 of 17
AstroJohnPE

First off, there are no color representing the displacements in the first image because you are displaying the Axial Stress, not the displacements. Smiley Happy

Okay, forget the attempt at humor. The next thing to try is "Tools > Application Options > Results". One of the buttons (I never remember which one it is, and I do not have the software at the moment) includes options to use "boxes" at the end of each element or to color the entire line (the default). Does it make a difference if you change those options?

Next, results can be shown in multiple windows,which are named "Presentations" in the software. Each analysis type has some pre-configured windows available. Click one of the entries under the "Saved Presentations" branch of the browser. Does this show the color?

I believe this issue has come up before. If you have not searched this forum, you might want to do that, too.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you do a different model using bricks or plates. These results will be on a surface, not on a line.

Message 6 of 17
luisito8m
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

John, 

Thanks for replying to my message, will definitely try all your ideas.

About the first image, I am simply showing that the gamma of colors is not showing regardless of axial stress, displacement, reaction forces, moments, you name it. But I will try to upload a picture where both of the simulations are the same.

Have already search the forums, I found some solutions, however, none resolved my issue, some of the solutions that I found were written by you as a matter of fact.

Will get back with the results from my findings on your ideas.

Thanks!

Luis

Message 7 of 17
luisito8m

James,

I have checked the setting you asked me to, eveything seems to be as expected, all checked in.

Here is a picture:

RightClickPart1.png

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

Luis

Message 8 of 17
luisito8m

John,

I have checked all the settings, nothing worked.

Here are some pictures:

1. Changing from lines to boxes didn't help.

Line.png

The above picture is with "lines".

Boxes.png

The above picture is with "boxes".'

Below: Under the Saved Presentation, nothing changes the color.

SavedPresentations1.png

Above picture: Deformed (under saved presentations)

SavedPresentations2.png

Above picture: displacement. (Under saved presentations)

Lastly, I would try using bricks or plates as you are suggesting, however, my knowledge does do that far. I am starting to learn the basics of Finite Element Analysis, the "most complicated" structure that I can make is a beam with a supported spring, or a tetrahedron (3D), only lines, no surfaces.

What you see in the pictures is a beam with 1 pin and 2 rollers, I did it during today's lecture.

Let me know if the pictures give you a better insight.

Thanks for your great help!

Luis

Message 9 of 17
AstroJohnPE

I missed a step (or more?) in my description. Just clicking on an entry under the "Saved Presentation" branch does not open a new window. (The results windows that are currently opened are listed under "Presentations", and it shows only 1 window is opened.) Please right-click on one of the saved presentations. One of the options on the pop-up menu will be to activate the presentation, open the presentation, or something like that.

You know you are successful when the list of "Presentations" includes "2 < Unnamed >".

Message 10 of 17
luisito8m

John,

Did what you asked, the displacements still do not show & the deformation is now black and red but without a leyend. Either way doesn't look right.

Here are some pictures:

ActivatedDeformedShaped1.png

AtivatedDisplacment1.png

Thanks!

Luis

Message 11 of 17
KubliJ

Hi Luis,

Here is something else to try, it should reset the results display to default. 

From the FEA Editor environment, press and hold the <shift> key and click on the Results Tab.  Keep the <shift> key pressed until you are in the Results Environment.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Message 12 of 17
luisito8m

James,

I did what you asked, nothing happened. I only got moved from Editor to Results Tab.

holdSHIFT.png

Thank you!

Luis

Message 13 of 17

Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure that this 'whitish' contour is related to the graphics as I've encountered it before, once. I solved it by disabling the OpenGL Hardware Acceleration. If it is greyed out, perhaps you don't have administrative rights or graphics card does not support opengl. Then again, I don't know much about graphics cards, but I do feel that you have the rest of the settings worked out to be able to see the contour plot. Perhaps you could share your graphic card information here to help with the troubleshoot.

Regards

Ilyas

Message 14 of 17

Ilyas,

I have tried that before I started this thread. I found that to be a solution for a couple of people thanks to John who came up with the right answers, however, the Open GL Hardware acceleration is checked out but it is grayed out.

I have a Macbook Air Mid2013 model (the latest), it has an Intel HD 5000 graphics chip, it supports Open GL and Direct X. 

Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 8.09.33 AM.png

How do I get administrative rights?

Thanks!

Luis

Message 15 of 17

Hi Luis, 

I was referring to the Windows User Account. The account needs to be an administrator for you to tweak the "opengl" checkbox. Try it. I'm not what is its equivalent in mac os. I'm not even sure that you can install simulation mechanical on a mac os.

Regards

Ilyas

Message 16 of 17

Got it to work!

Thank you guys for all you help! 

Thank you Ilyas!

After a google search about "Administrator Rights" (because I am not a Windows person), I opened the program in "Administrator Mode" which then allowed me to uncheck the Open GL Hardware Acceleration, no idea what that is, but has to do with the graphics. After unchecking it, I ran a very quick test, and it worked!

It is the little things that make software impossible.

Life is good.

Here are some pictures:

UnselectedOpenGL.png

ItWorks.png

Thank you once more!

I can now practice all problems from my FEA book!

Luis

Message 17 of 17

Ilyas,

You can't install Simulation Mechanica in Mac OS, I am using Windows through bootcamp, which means that I have 2 different OS installed in my Mac.

Most Engineering software is only supported by Windows, which is a pain (for me). The only engineering program that I am able to run natively from Mac OS is MatLAB.

Abaqus, SolidWorks, CATIA, Simulation Mechanica, Algor, and AutoCAD are installed on my Windows side. (There is an AutoCAD for Mac, but it is not as powerful).

Cheers!
Luis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report