Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation Fails depending on Material

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
422 Views, 2 Replies

Simulation Fails depending on Material

I am running a simulation of a rubberish (elastomer) cap being placed on a plastic.  The issue is the model fails to complete about 40% through.  When I switch the bottle material to a rigid material (say steel), the simulation completes.  I have tried refining the mesh but the model still stalls around 40%.  The model info is below.  I am guessing that there is a node somewhere that is reaching an infinite displacement that the system can't fix.  Is this a know issue for the MES function when running two bodies that both deform?

Model:

- MES with nonlinear material

- Bottle:

-  Isotropic element

- Cap:

-  Hyperelatic (Mooney-Rivlin)

- 4mm forced displacement

- Global surface contact

Anything would help.

Robert.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Andrew.Sartorelli
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Robert,

One thing I would try is increasing the number of time-steps in the model. Especially, if you are using the default time-step of 20 with a hyperelastic material in MES. While the solver will automatically decrease the size of time-steps based on convergence criteria, it is often better to manually add in those time-steps.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 3 of 3
zhuangs
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Robert,

You can try the two changes: (1) check 'adaptive contact stiffness option" for the contact pair, or (2) select 'user-defined" contact stiffness and input a value of 100.

Thanks,

Shoubing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report