Discussion Groups

Simulation Mechanical and Multiphysics

Contributor
9msl1
Accepted Solution

Simulation crashed half way through, is there a way to restart the simulation?

137 Views, 3 Replies
03-13-2014 06:31 AM

Hello

My MES simulation crashed half way through. is there a way to restart the simulation without erasing data?  That is, can it pick up where it left off?

thanks

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
cieslak.maciek

Re: Simulation crashed half way through, is there a way to restart the simulatio

03-16-2014 05:11 PM in reply to: 9msl1
I am afraid the only way is to start over again from scratch.
Please use plain text.
Valued Mentor
AstroJohnPE

Re: Simulation crashed half way through, is there a way to restart the simulatio

03-17-2014 07:33 PM in reply to: cieslak.maciek

I disagree with cieslak's answer. MES does have the ability to restart the analysis from the time step that an analysis crashed (or the computer loss power, etc). Search the Help for the page titled "Perform Restart Analyses". However, if the analysis crashed once, it may crash again. But some computers are fussy and may crash on one run but not if the same model is analyzed again. The Help indicates what you can change in the analysis setup; hopefully, you can change something if necessary to avoid the crash.

Another time when the restart would not work is if the crash/power outage occurred while the restart files were being written, in which case the files may be corrupted.

John Holtz, PE
Mechanical Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

16 years experience with Simulation Mechanical
Please use plain text.
Contributor
9msl1

03-21-2014 06:59 AM in reply to: 9msl1

Problem solved! Thanks!

Please use plain text.